My first Sportive

Gizmodo
Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I just thought I would share the joy of finishing my first Sportive. If you get the chance, go for it, I really enjoyed it.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    most excellent - its a great feeling isnt it - hope the weather was good for you. Well done.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Gizmodo
    most excellent - its a great feeling isnt it - hope the weather was good for you. Well done.
    The weather was superb as was the company. I have to say thank you to my mate who went with me and a stranger who joined us, both of them let me follow their wheel the whole way, greatly improving my time. Thanks guys.
  • Wobbler72
    Wobbler72 Posts: 31
    Well done fella!

I too completed my first sportive today. Looking at where you're based I assume it was the same Mercia in Motion event?

I too enjoyed the event enormously and , given that I usually ride alone, it was quite a learning experience. I now know that I'm carp on hills. I make a lot back on the descents but I clearly have work to do on the hills. On the positive side, it seems I corner well, having passed lots of people by simply not braking on the approach to corners (whilst others did) and carrying much more speed around and out off the corner itself. I need to be careful though; just looked at my tyres and I'm already close to the "shoulders" of the tyre. need to remember I'm not on a superbike any more!

Already started looking for the next one :)
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    God, reading this excites me! I've never done one and I'm gonna need alot of training before I will. But this is good motivation :)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Nice. My first is on Sunday :evil:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Ace !!!

I've got the 60mile night rider coming up at the beginning of June and the Chiltern Challenge at the end of June. I might try to cram one in, in July, then I'm hoping to do the York 100 at the end of August.

Not done one before, I just ride with my mates, so I'm looking forward to them.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I just thought I would share the joy of finishing my first Sportive. If you get the chance, go for it, I really enjoyed it.

Which one did you ride?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • i did my first event yesterday - reliability ride - the derwent dash. 56 miles of killer hills through snow, sleet and hail. Knackered, really hard work in places (i'm not used to hills) but loved it.

big up Derwentside Cycling Club for putting the event on.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27976880
  • Gizmodo
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:

Which one did you ride?
    As Wobbler correctly assumed it was the Motion in Mercia by Kilo to Go and Wiggle - no Haribo, well disappointed :wink:

I had a great morning, I did the short route, 54 miles, which was pretty flat, just the one long drag of a hill. 3 hours 1 minute, 18th place, good weather and great company. I was lucky, I went with a friend and we met another guy John who liked our pace, so they let me have their wheel all the way round, so I had it easy :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You're welcome :wink:

'twas a great ride, I was thinking I was giving up on sportives but it was much bigger than the ones I'd done before and it had much more of an event feel, than the Evans ones. Odd that being twice the price has made it 5-6 times more popular!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    The pertinent question is not how far was it, or how fast were you - it's how much cake did you eat? Those who eat the most cake are the true winners :D