BB tool

anthonychou
anthonychou Posts: 20
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Hey all just wondering if anyone could just confirm what tool it is i need to take my BB out?

Also once iv got it out will it have the measurements etc on it so i can get a replacement?

IMG_1371.jpg
IMG_1372.jpg
IMG_1373.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1375.jpg
IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1378.jpg
IMG_1379.jpg

Comments

• would something like this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOTTOM-BRACKE ... 027wt_1165

also what will i need for the other side to stop it simply spinning?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    yes that is the one.

Once you have it out, you can replace it with any BB which fits your cranks... only need to establish whether is italian or British... if it says nothing on the BB, then measure the shell width... 68 mm is british, 70 Italian. Remember if it is british the right side (drive side) will undo clockwise (anticlockwise if italian). Both types undo anticlockwise on the left (non drive) side.
    left the forum March 2023
  • yes that is the one.

Once you have it out, you can replace it with any BB which fits your cranks... only need to establish whether is italian or British... if it says nothing on the BB, then measure the shell width... 68 mm is british, 70 Italian. Remember if it is british the right side (drive side) will undo clockwise (anticlockwise if italian). Both types undo anticlockwise on the left (non drive) side.

thanks for thre reply mate!

im actually out to purchase a crankset as well so presumably i can order any BB....

is there any advantage of cups vs square tapered? presumably its better to source my crankset first and then the BB to fit? or is it better the other way round... getting a replacement BB then a crankset to fit?

im just wanting a single crankset so any advice?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Buy the single chain set, then the matching bb. There is no advantage in external cups, only disadvantages... Unless you have 1000watts to put in your cranks
  • cheers mate, any advice on where to purchase a decent new single speed chainset for a decent price?

Im planning on just changing my 8 speed wheelset to a single (with adaptors) so will it be a easy setup? or will i have to ensure my chainset is right for my wheels?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I am no expert of single speed, I suppose you should look into specific online shops, where fixie guys go shopping. Try Planet X and On One as well, their are a goldmine of offers.
    As for the chain alignment, as yours is a conversion, you should be able to place the spacers in a way that the chain is aligned, no?
  • ugo.santalucia
    THis is very classy

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CSF ... k_crankset

resembles a bit my 1980s Super Record cranks
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Are you doing this in the attic ? It would be useful to find out if they are italian or british thread before you attempt disassembly. It takes a fair amount of heft to loosen a BB ( I use a seat tube for leverage) and you need to know which way you are supposed to be turning it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Twostage wrote:
    Are you doing this in the attic ? It would be useful to find out if they are italian or british thread before you attempt disassembly. It takes a fair amount of heft to loosen a BB ( I use a seat tube for leverage) and you need to know which way you are supposed to be turning it.

That's already been discussed above
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Twostage wrote:

That's already been discussed above
    True, missed the measuring bit.
    Still wondering about the attic though.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Just a quick note, something small like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Bottom-Bracket-Remover-Universal/dp/B007M8GFZ2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1334601003&sr=8-7 may be more beneficial . Find with bottom bracket removal tools that they can slip off whilst in use :( with a smaller BB tool you could possibly use the screw that holds the crank on, to hold the the BB tool in place whilst you grunt and groan to remove a bottom bracket that maybe be seized.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    There is no advantage in external cups, only disadvantages... Unless you have 1000watts to put in your cranks

apart from being a stiffer, lighter system....
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    maddog 2 wrote:
    There is no advantage in external cups, only disadvantages... Unless you have 1000watts to put in your cranks

apart from being a stiffer, lighter system....

True, shame most people don't race and can't appreciate the benefits...
    Besides, you only notice the stiffness and lack of when grossly overgeared, like going up a 6% slope in 53x16, most people ride compact and 28 at the back and they're not ashamed to use it, so stiffness is not really necessary... as for light... grams my friend, just grams