Gone Tubeless

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in MTB general
As a followup to my "Going Tubeless" thread - its all now done :)

Very very simple and easy to do, took about 15 minutes for both wheels and that was only because I was taking my time and enjoying the job, the odd minute here and there to admire how neatly I'd taped up :D

Going out on my bike in about an hour up Cannock Chase so I'll report back later on any noticeable differences...

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Will be interested to hear what you think.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    I am pleased after doing the same a week or so ago - no punctures in about 5 rides whereas I had about 6 punctures in the four preceeding rides. Feel I have more control down the knarly bits after dropping my tyre pressure to 28psi (from about 40).
  • Loved it.

Something felt different, can't quite put my finger on it but I think the ride felt smoother? Either way, it's no hassle to do (I even made the switch to tubeless in the conservatory and made zero mess).

In my opinion, why wouldn't you do it? Maybe I just had a good rim/tyre combo and a quality pump that made it all so easy but I'd certainly recommend it... Reduced flats, reduced weight, better ride... Win.
  • Loved it.

Something felt different, can't quite put my finger on it but I think the ride felt smoother? Either way, it's no hassle to do (I even made the switch to tubeless in the conservatory and made zero mess).

In my opinion, why wouldn't you do it? Maybe I just had a good rim/tyre combo and a quality pump that made it all so easy but I'd certainly recommend it... Reduced flats, reduced weight, better ride... Win.

Whilst I do agree with you for the most part (tubeless convert myself), did you weigh your complete wheelset both with and without tubes to see exactly what weight saving you get?
  • I didn't, but tbh I'm not really fussed with weight even if it was a bit heavier... the bike feels light to me :)

I'd have thought a strip of rim tape plus a puddle of stans weighs in less than an inner tube though...
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Quick Q. If I've got a Flow rim coming and tubeless ready tyres, do I just need the rim strip with valves and the sealant? Anything else? Do you need that valve core remover? Wondering if the Stans tube with hose that goes over the valve might be the best way to apply the sealant too...cost all adds up though I suppose...
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    agg25 wrote:
    Quick Q. If I've got a Flow rim coming and tubeless ready tyres, do I just need the rim strip with valves and the sealant? Anything else? Do you need that valve core remover? Wondering if the Stans tube with hose that goes over the valve might be the best way to apply the sealant too...cost all adds up though I suppose...

you dont need the rim strip. only the yellow tape and a valve.

you dont have to inject the sealant, you can just pour some into the tyre before you fully seat it.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • I was a bit confused about that rim strip, the Stan's tubeless kit includes sealant, rim tape and rim strips - seems to me they were just packaging up extra bits that can be charged for since as far as I can see, its an either/or proposition...

But yeah, I've just used tape and a valve and its all good :)
  • bennett_346
    I was a bit confused about that rim strip, the Stan's tubeless kit includes sealant, rim tape and rim strips - seems to me they were just packaging up extra bits that can be charged for since as far as I can see, its an either/or proposition...

But yeah, I've just used tape and a valve and its all good :)
    Isnt the rim tape to tape the rim strip down?
  • interesting , long time no do that
  • bennett_346
    I'm just guessing, never done it myself. It just seems logical.
  • I don't think so? mine looked like this after I'd taped up and stuck the valve in:

Tubeless.jpg

After a ride and 3 days it hasn't deflated even slightly so it can't be far off the right way of doing things :)
  • sanchez89
    hmmm, blue tape??? mines yellow, and the black rubber section on the valve is alot larger than mine. mine's only a small round 1.

where you had this from??

and to answer bennet_346 some rims to need the rubber rim strip for tubeless use. some only need the tape and valve.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • bennett_346
    sanchez89 wrote:
    and to answer bennet_346 some rims to need the rubber rim strip for tubeless use. some only need the tape and valve.
    ah cool
  • sanchez89 wrote:
    hmmm, blue tape??? mines yellow, and the black rubber section on the valve is alot larger than mine. mine's only a small round 1.

I got it all from the LBS (Mammoth Lifestyle in Milford)... However, The blue tape is this stuff: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 36454.html

As for the valves, no idea matey, I literally looked through a box of loose valves and picked a couple that looked the right profile for my rims...
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 wrote:

I got it all from the LBS (Mammoth Lifestyle in Milford)... However, The blue tape is this stuff: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 36454.html

As for the valves, no idea matey, I literally looked through a box of loose valves and picked a couple that looked the right profile for my rims...

oh righty ok. i used the proper Hope kit for mine, which came with yellow tape, 2 valves with removable cores (great idea), and 2 small single shot bottles of stans sealant.
    Clank wrote:
  • aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    Hi,

Are you running tubeless specific tyres, I've got the kit plus flow rims but not tubeless specific tyres, was going to buy some, currently running a dual ply high roller and tube combo. Don't want to spend £80 if I don't have to as the high rollers I have still have a decent tread.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    The Maxxis on flows should work reasonably well. Just slop a bit of sealant in....
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i never use tubeless specific tyres :)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I'm just using Spesh Captain Control (2Bliss Ready) tyres...
  • Well I'm back to tubes... I'll explain why in this thread.