UCI Equipment rules.

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
edited April 2012 in Pro race
Hardly a new topic I know, but...

A line has to be drawn somewhere regarding equipment to stop the sport becoming too equipment dependent. Otherwise the pros would be riding with full fairings. Whether you or I agree with where the line is drawn, we probably accept there needs to be one.
However, a couple of the rules I've come across recently just strike me as rules for rules sake.
Apparently a time trial saddle must be perfectly horizontal and socks can no longer come above the mid point between ankle and knee. These rules strike me as ludicrous. Saddle alignment is purely a comfort issue surely and if there is an advantage in changing it, it is a change accessible to all. The sock thing just seems like a traditionalist doesn't like compression socks.
Is it just me or are there sound reasons behind these rules that I am too stupid to appreciate.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    No, the reason is simple - the UCI is frickin' useless!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar wrote:
    Apparently a time trial saddle must be perfectly horizontal...

Thinking this has something to do with the rule about the saddle being a certain distance behind the bottom bracket. Graham Obree has alot to answer for!
    morstar wrote:
    ...socks can no longer come above the mid point between ankle and knee.

And this rule is a good one!

Hutchinson-Michael_2128_1594.jpg
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    Sometimes their rules are sensible and sometimes they are silly in the extreme, luckily the silly rules are not always enforced stringently, and unluckily the sensible ones selectively aren't either on occasion.

Murr X