Scott Genius 60 rear suspension break

Chrisrebbeck
Chrisrebbeck Posts: 133
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Picked up my new Scott genius on Wednesday and broke it at Cwmcarn on Friday. It's my first forray into full suss after getting into the sport with a Scott scale last summer. I am a self confessed tech geek so the rear suspension really interested me on the genius and I managed to get an amazing deal on a 2011 bike. However I am now really apprehensive I have bought a dog. I pumped up the rear shock to the recommended pressures on Thursday and used it for a couple of hours at Halton forest. I didn't re check the shock at Cwmcarn which I think is an error as half way through on the rough stuff in full suss mode it started to bottom out a little. ( for info I weight 85kg). Eventually there was a large bang and the bolt at the top of the rear shock had come out of its housing. I was gutted and am worried it may just happen again. Had anyone else had similar issues with their genius or indeed has anyone got really positive comments about the bike before I ey to dismayed! Must admit before it went it rode like a dream and put a massive smile on my face. Will attempt to post pictures. LBS seemed embarrassed and took it straight off me promising to get it sorted.they blamed a lack of lock tight on the bolt but I wonder if it was never set up properly or is a weak area.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You were probably running it too soft then bottomed out harshly. Put more pressure in this time. The difficulty you have is because it is a pull shock you have no sag to go off to set it up.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Holy crap :shock: That must of been frightening!
  • I've had the same problem just a month after buying my Scoot genius 60 in may 2010, but i realized that the bolt wasn't tight enough just before it would break. From that moment, I tighten the screw regularly, but in the last month i forgot to do it and yesterday the bolt has broken.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You were probably running it too soft then bottomed out harshly. Put more pressure in this time. The difficulty you have is because it is a pull shock you have no sag to go off to set it up.
    You can of course set sag in the exact same way with a pull as a push shock, you just measure how much is pulled instead, really not at all hard.

Any FS banging on the stop will put higher loads in than its really designed for, a single bolt has failed and it's not even a linkage bolt, in my opinion that isn't a meaningful sign you may have other issues once it's fixed, so fix it properly, set it up properly and go ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    You stated you weigh 85Kg, may want to re weight your self with all your biking clobber on especially if you wear a back pack.

That said that must have been a full on code brown moment when it went. Looks like the bolt just snapped out so you should be ok to just replace that, the add a bit more pressure. may also be worth pumping it up, noting the pressure an leaving it overnight or go for a gentle bimble nothing mad then re check it make sure youve not got a bad seal somewhere.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That was years ago, you might have missed the thread resurrection.

Strange it happened at xmas and not easter.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Should have noticed that, why is it someones first post they go ferreting around for an ancient thread.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One assumes they arrived via a search engine, but it's a strange thread to end up in that way as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.