New tyres for my spicy.

Worzel 72
Worzel 72 Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a new tyre for the rear of my spicy and wandered what others are running on 160mm travel bikes. Most of the riding i do is in the cairngorms and can be wet and rocky, i need something that rolls reasonably well offers good pinch protection. At the moment i run the stock continental rubber queen 2.2 and im happy with the level of grip but the tyre seems to be very flimsy and prone to pinch flats and blowouts even at 40psi. What do you recommend guys, there's hundreds of tyres to choose from and reviews for all of them. Guess im just looking for a start point, cheers.
Boardman Pro Ht 2010
Spicy 516 2012

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Tubeless. It will make you as fast as steve peat and improve your sex life, guaranteed.
  • Worzel 72
    Ha ha, i think i'd get a nosebleed if i ever got close to his speed. Tubeless, think i need to find a good tyre before investing in tubeless. It would probably be just a waste of time and effort with the rubber queens.
    Boardman Pro Ht 2010
    Spicy 516 2012
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've found Maxxis Ardents roll well, offer good puncture protection and have tonnes of grip, did some uplifting at Innerleithen today with one on the front and didn't skip a beat, the Crossmark on the back got a few slides going though :lol:

Currently run a 2.4 up front on the Marin as my all round tyre, only really change it for really muddy stuff or DH although not always as it still offers plenty of grip. Ok the Marin is 140mm travel not 160mm but it gets ridden on all the same stuff most 160mm bikes are for. Never tried the Rubber Queens though so don't know how they compare.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    High roller 2?

The sidewalls on ardents, advantages, single ply minions and high rollers etc. tend to be a bit flimsy for hard riding. Fine for xc though.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    leaflite wrote:
    The sidewalls on ardents, advantages, single ply minions and high rollers etc. tend to be a bit flimsy for hard riding. Fine for xc though.

They are absolutely fine, especially since you can get exo versions of all of them apart from the High Roller. I've never had a problem with Ardents, Advantages or Minion single plys. Unless you mean puncture protection but only a dual ply is any better IMO and they have a huge weight penalty and you can get Ardents, Minions and High Rollers in dual ply anyway.
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    Ardent 2.25 exo on the back of my nomad. Run it tubeless (27psi) in the rocky bridalways of the lake district and has up to now never missed a beat.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • astormatt
    astormatt Posts: 79
    I have been really impressed with my High Roller IIs, roll reasonably well and grip is pretty predictable. Running mine tubeless at around 32 psi. Not had a problem yet.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    What about Nobby Nic's? Have anyone got any experience with them, tubed or tubeless?
    PS, sorry for the thread hijack :$
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    peter413 wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

They are absolutely fine, especially since you can get exo versions of all of them apart from the High Roller. I've never had a problem with Ardents, Advantages or Minion single plys. Unless you mean puncture protection but only a dual ply is any better IMO and they have a huge weight penalty and you can get Ardents, Minions and High Rollers in dual ply anyway.

I was talking about the folding, single compound version of those tyres. As the OP was complaining about pinch punctures and the tyre blowing off the rim even at 40 psi, I thought that the more downhill tyres in maxxis' range with thicker sidewalls would be better.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The Exo versions of the Ardent & Advantage are absolutely mint. They both weigh in at around 650g for a 2.25 and are much more compliant than dual plys for trail riding whilst at the same time having great protection against sidewall scrapes.

Advantage is slightly more gnar where it needs to be i.e. cornering but they both roll very easily.

Stick one on the front with a CrossMark on the back and get yur drift on*

* or something like that
  • gcalvert
    gcalvert Posts: 11
    Re Nobby Nics

Great Summer Tyres IMO, I run em harder (35-40PSI) and get more out of them. Useless in the wet or mud, then you might as well strap a trout dressed in virgin olive oil to your rims. Seem to puncture a little too easily. But like I said, in the summer, zoom!

Having said that I was up in Winlatter a week or so ago in the snow and ice and although slippy they were predictable.

Was over the North Downs last week and they were all over the place in the mud, looking at the weather forecast I might put Trailrakers bck on, nothing grips like those mothers, snow, mud, ice - never let me down, or puncture.

I'd buy High Roller IIs if I had the cash. :shock:
    GT Zaksar '90
    Marin Pine Moutain PACE RC35s '92
    Roadie '93-'07
    Specialized Rockhopper '08
    Canyon XC7 '11
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    2".35 muddy mary's on the freeride, tube..

Rolls like its glued to floor or worse, and grips like a king for the downs, definately my tyre of choice as grip takes presidence over anything for me.

Other wise i'd be on a minnion front high roller rear set :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Rolls like its glued to floor or worse

Must admit I tried the Vertstar Big Betty off the Scott on the front of the Cannondale and it really did feel like it was glued to the ground - everywhere. Not sure whether it was the compound or the weight but it was really, really hard work. Stop pedalling and the bike slowed down in seconds it was like riding into a permanent headwind. Also had the tendency to pebble-dash me and the front of the bike in trail debris it was so grippy.

Good on the descents though :) but they last about 30 seconds around Cannock so it simply wasn't worth it.
  • Worzel 72
    cheers guys, a high roller 2's what i had in mind so hopefully my lbs will have 1. Just waiting a reply from my wingman then we'll be off out into the rain, if i manage to get 1 ill let you know later how it compares. Thanks again guys. :)
    Boardman Pro Ht 2010
    Spicy 516 2012