Ti Hardtail

AdsH
AdsH Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a Boardman FS Pro that weighs in at 27lbs with some merlin/hope/719 wheels.

I'm about to get my payout from a nasty lorry related cycle accident. I'm keen to take myself off the road as much as possible and would like to build up a nice lightweight ti hardtail.

Use would mainly be taking Oxfordshire's bridleways as fast as possible as well as some of N. Cornwalls truly awful single track lanes. No requirement for anything too technical at this stage. The ability to climb like a goat, descend at speed and be quick on some of the CX sportives that are taking off.

At present I'm looking at an Enigma Ego ti - I have an etape and love the bike and the company. Could consider Burls but don't know enough as to what to specify. I could consider a 29er.

Any advice?

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    My advice would be don't go to Enigma for anything which isn't off the shelf. I started a completely custom build with them earlier this year and got so fucked off by their "we've got your non-refundable deposit now don't have to give a shit" attitude that I cancelled it.

Justin Burls on the other hand was a pleasure to deal with.

Edit: auto anti-swear ftw!
  • enigmajim
    enigmajim Posts: 32
    jam1e wrote:
    My advice would be don't go to Enigma for anything which isn't off the shelf. I started a completely custom build with them earlier this year and got so farked off by their "we've got your non-refundable deposit now don't have to give a shoot" attitude that I cancelled it.

Justin Burls on the other hand was a pleasure to deal with.

Edit: auto anti-swear ftw!

For the record, we do not operate a non-refundale deposit sytem and I am pretty certain that if you did indeed cancel an order with us then your deposit would have been refunded in full. Am I right?

Nor do we have a "couldn't give a shoot" attitude, we are as helpful as we can be to all, whoever they may be.

Jim Walker
    Director
    Enigma Titanium Ltd
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    When I placed the order I was told that the deposit was none-refundable, something I was happy to accept as an anti-timewasting measure.

After becoming increasingly frustrated with your levels of customer service and complaining to Mark quite strongly about a variety of issues I was offered a refund which I was more than happy to accept.

However the fact remains that you initially called it a none refundable deposit and until the offer of a refund was made I fully expected to have to pay for the frame in full.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No comments on Enigma but based on this:
    Use would mainly be taking Oxfordshire's bridleways as fast as possible as well as some of N. Cornwalls truly awful single track lanes. No requirement for anything too technical at this stage. The ability to climb like a goat, descend at speed and be quick on some of the CX sportives that are taking off.

A CX bike sounds perfect...
  • AdsH
    AdsH Posts: 13
    njee20 wrote:
    No comments on Enigma but based on this:

A CX bike sounds perfect...

CX = cyclocross? I would agree except I definately need front suspension as I have the beginnings of arthritis in one hand which is made worse by vibration. Hard dry trails aren't great with front suspension, without I think I would be toast after an hour.

Re Enigma - my experience has been superlative customer service.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would spend the money upgrading what you have. A titanium frame may or may not be any more comfortable (construction is most important in frame feel), but tyre choice, bars, grips and seatpost will be more noticable.

These grips are superb:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/compon ... ack-p94936

Light, very comfortable.

Add a lightweight carbon post and bars:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2

I'd also get a lighter set of wheels if you are not too heavy a rider.

If you must get a new frame then I'd look at carbon again, something like a Cannodale Flash - very light, and with tuned 'give' in the stays.