Chain noise

Boardmanboy
Boardmanboy Posts: 24
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Went for a 30 mile ride yesterday in rain and dirt, removed chain, soaked in paraffin, then degreaser, washed with hot water twice in ultrasonic cleaner lol, dried on rad then applied ptfe dry lube.
Put chain back on and it is incredibly noisy (freewheeling is quiet in comparison when before it was louder) - can chains be put on upside down or back to front or something?
I've done same treatment before and its been fine.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a little tab on the mech cage - you've put the chain on the wrong side of it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    There is a little tab on the mech cage - you've put the chain on the wrong side of it.

LOL. i seem to remember asking the very same question and Cooldad giving me the very same answer.(which by the way was correct) :oops:
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • cooldad
    I think everyones done it at some point.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Yep, everyone has done it at some point...apart from me, of course. Ahem!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Shimano 10sp chains are directional but as long as you get the chain path through the mech right I don't think you can put other chains on the wrong way round.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have done the same and Cooldad corrected me. It shouldn't be rubbing against any part of the mech.

Would add that all that chain cleaning is way OTT in my opinion, but chain cleaning and maintenance is a religion to many :P. You've probably stripped all the internal oil out. Whether the dry lube has replaced it depends how deep a lube you did and whether you applied it to the inside of the chain and it's been thoroughly worked it in.
  • cooldad
    I use Squirt and don't actually clean my chain, ever. A hose when I'm washing the bike, a wipe dry, and a reapplication now and again. Current chain has lasted over a year.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I did that two days ago!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    cooldad wrote:
    I use Squirt and don't actually clean my chain, ever. A hose when I'm washing the bike, a wipe dry, and a reapplication now and again. Current chain has lasted over a year.

That seems to work when its dry but squirt is hopeless in wet over the winter - doesnt even last one ride in my experience.
  • cooldad
    Works fine for me all year. Bear in mind you only need lube inside the rollers. Lube on the outside of the chain does nothing except attract gunk. So just because it looks like the outside of the chain is dry, doesn't mean it's not doing it's job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    cooldad wrote:
    I think everyones done it at some point.

Ive done it twice :oops:
  • Thanks again, this was the exact problem.