Starley?

PwM
PwM Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
In the market for a new race bike and this brand has just landed in my LBS. Like the look and big plus as a British brand but... seem to be a new company so a little cautious. Not test ridden yet but has anyone had any experience / view? No reviewed products yet bar those of sponsored athletes. Any thoughts most welcome!
Orange P7 Pro
Kona Hot
Lemond Reno
2012 - something for the road in carbon

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Can't work out whether you've just joined this forum to promote your own business?

For "designed & built" in Britain I read; bought generic product from China, applied some stickers and created a website?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • PwM
    Nope, actually came looking for help. Interesting comment re build - aren't all carbon bikes of a similar production route / nature?
    Orange P7 Pro
    Kona Hot
    Lemond Reno
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    The mountain bike is gopping.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    tsk dear oh dear, blatant!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Hmm - seem a bit of an unknown.... Nope, wont be changed from my Italians
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • PwM
    Offline consensus seems to be stick with what you know, particularly if it would be an expensive mistake you can't afford to make... but best of luck to the new guys.

Now back focused to the 2 contenders - Scott CR1 Elite vs Wilier Izopard XP Centaur. Does anyone have any views please as becoming a difficult decision. Have ridden both and feel equally good. Cost wise fairly similar - the Scott has Mavic Ksyrium Elites which read better and seem to explain the price difference. Also, I currently ride Shimano so agnostic to SRAM vs Campy but both seem workable, but probably a fairly contentious point...
    Orange P7 Pro
    Kona Hot
    Lemond Reno
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You could probably sell the Willier's wheel and buy something similar to the Mavics and keep a similar budget to the Scott.

Personally, if I rode both and both felt good, I'd go for the Willier - just for the looks, Brand cachet and the Campag kit on it. But that's all personal prejudices.
  • I borrowed a Starley SM-1 29er from them earlier in the year. I posted a review of it on my site Bikedibley.com - http://tidd.ly/8c20ce37

I found it a suprisingly good ride and am currently looking to purchase one with my own money. For ahardtail, it made me want to "pin it"!!!
  • Danny87
    Danny87 Posts: 121
    PwM wrote:
    Offline consensus seems to be stick with what you know, particularly if it would be an expensive mistake you can't afford to make... but best of luck to the new guys.

Now back focused to the 2 contenders - Scott CR1 Elite vs Wilier Izopard XP Centaur. Does anyone have any views please as becoming a difficult decision. Have ridden both and feel equally good. Cost wise fairly similar - the Scott has Mavic Ksyrium Elites which read better and seem to explain the price difference. Also, I currently ride Shimano so agnostic to SRAM vs Campy but both seem workable, but probably a fairly contentious point...

Never heard of the forementioned sorry. Scott and Wilier I have. If it was me I'd go with the Scott. I always wanted a Scott Addict, I have a friend who owns a lbs that stocks Scott amongst other bikes. He rides a Scott Foil Di2 is awesome looking! For the money a Scott CR1 is a great machine. What's the price difference between the 2? Maybe test ride if possible?

An I've nalt against Campy :) would love it on a nice steel machine like say... a Colnago Master with Ambrosio silver rims and Record Hubs :twisted: I will have a Master one day!

Anyway back to my point.. Nalt wrong with Campy but yeah Shimano is robust does the job and is interchangeable to a point with Sram if you ended up mixing and matching down the line. Especially when thinking about wheel upgrades etc.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    It's funny how people don't trust new 'brands'. If everyone had that point of view years ago, you wouldn't be able to drool over Colnago's, Scott's, Wilier's etc now because they would have gone bust!
  • Danny87
    Danny87 Posts: 121
    Yes I understand your point, can't say I don't trust new brands. I ride a Chinese sweat shop frame, so clearly not an issue for me. However with most people they shop by brand based upon reputation. Most reputations are built upon success or by recomendation from friends or other consumers. Products from brands like Scott and Colango gained trust or desirability partly by the reputation they gained from winning races.