XT M785 cranks

Bestwuzbest
Bestwuzbest Posts: 61
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Howdy doody folks? Bit of advice needed...my old xt cranks and bottom bracket are on the way out and I'm for buying a new set. My 2008 set was originally a triple but for most of that period I've been running it as a 22/34 double with a straitline bashguard. My query is will the new 10spd double set be bash compatible? If so, any suggestions? It will be the silver 38/26 set. Looking at the pics online, I'm not seeing how a bashguard will match up with the spider ends.
"KEEP 'ER LIT N FILL YER BOOTS!"

Comments

• ....aaw jaysuz guys, sumone must be able to shed a little light on this query...don't make me go to singletrack!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So post some pics to show what you mean.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • "KEEP 'ER LIT N FILL YER BOOTS!"
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Dunno. But I'd go for 10spd 770 setup. £114 much better price
  • cooldad
    Well done. And the bash?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Get the triple, it's got standard spider ends to fit with the outer ring. I bought the triple for my bike and I run that as 1x10 but use the e13 lg1+ so don't have a bash ring fitted.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Yo cooldad! what's with the attitude man? Did you become "cool"dad after the divorce? over 11,000 posts in 2yrs? must give you an average of about 15 posts a day (that's everyday...730ish) in 2 yrs...do you do anything else with your spare time? Maybe you just failed to comprehend my query...as how could I be showing you the bash that I've yet to find?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    When you say cranks and BB are on their way out, do you mean it's still on it's original BB?

If so chuck that and stick a new one on, swap the rings if needs be too, I bet they're ok though. £13 or something for a Deore replacement, they die so quick I can't be bothered spending more anymore, not a huge difference between them :)
  • Chunkers1980
    He just likes bikes, you've made quite a lot of his life from his stats... Different strokes for different folks, who are you to judge?

I think everyone did not comprehend what you were meaning hence why the lack of responses.

Here's what I glean. You're looking at the new XT 780 triple crank and the outer ring bolt holes/spider look like they are at an angle and it looks as if when you remove the outer ring to fit a bash where it was the new spider design won't mesh up?

I'd just get the really cheap one 770 chasis version I suggested.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    This. The new XTs wont work with a bash, but the older 770s will, and you can then just remove the outer like on your current set up. Alternatively, get yourself some SLX touring cranks and bin the outer. Something like this: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a10120 ... html?lg=en comes with more usable ring sizes for a 2 ring set up.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    PS - you can get an XT version of this sizing too. FC-T781
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thats the 2nd BB I'm thru. It's the M785 double I'm after...the M780 triple could work and I could live with the 24 inner, but really want 36 or 38 on the outer...so it means ditching 2 rings (including the re-inforced and most valuable middle) and buying another plus a bashring...and then will the front shifting be as sweet as the off-the-shelf double set-up? Thats what appealed with the straight double...and its got the "optimised Q-factor" for a double. Apart from building a set up from scratch or going down the crappy SRAM route, I'm gonna have to suffer another cut 'n' stick crankset.
  • benpinnick
    If you want a 36 outer the go for the new XT triple in touring flavour!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Chunkers1980
    Or just get a proper double with ring sizes you want, with your correct q factor, whatever that is, this is MTB ;-)
  • cooldad
    Howdy doody folks? Bit of advice needed...my old xt cranks and bottom bracket are on the way out and I'm for buying a new set. My 2008 set was originally a triple but for most of that period I've been running it as a 22/34 double with a straitline bashguard. My query is will the new 10spd double set be bash compatible? If so, any suggestions? It will be the silver 38/26 set. Looking at the pics online, I'm not seeing how a bashguard will match up with the spider ends.
    Apologies - sounded as if you were simply planning on transferring the bash.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps I work, I ride, I spend the rest of my life here - sad and lonely.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cheers Ben...thats sum useful info right there
  • sorry cooldad, just wasn't too taken with your tone...think my blood sugars were still on the low side after yesterday's epic...am always a tad ratty the morning after...could just be the return to reality tho
  • the touring version of the xt triple hits the nail on the head...36/26 is in the zone...can I assume it'll include BB? webpage doesn't mention it, but shimano always throw one in don't they?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They don't include them on their road chainsets, because some frames take an Italian thread BB. I'd have thought touring ones would, as the vast majority of touring/trekking bikes will be a BS thread, but I'd not absolutely guarantee it.
  • benpinnick
    They do include the BB. You should be aware that it comes with an alloy only middle ring though. Personally I see no real difference between the alloy and the carbon one. Hype more than real benefit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    sorry cooldad, just wasn't too taken with your tone...think my blood sugars were still on the low side after yesterday's epic...am always a tad ratty the morning after...could just be the return to reality tho
    No worries I am a miserable grumpy bastard. On a good day.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools