Waterproof cycling shoes - suggestions/recommendations pleas

kingfidget
kingfidget Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I'm getting back into cycling after a few years off (not that I was an avid cyclist before - I only really commuted by cycle for a couple of years) and have got my new bike on order. I'm now looking at getting some new kit and got to wondering about waterproof cycling shoes.

I seem to recall Mavic Switchback being waterproof though I can't find them for sale anywhere (I'd like to try them on before I buy) so am wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on alternatives. I do own and have used in the past the waterproof overshoes but I'm really not keen on them - a combination of laziness and a shortish commute means it takes longer to squeeze into them than it does to ride home.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    there are several out there, i only know a few mtb myself. However, none are fully waterproof. they may have goretex liners and such, but there is still a huge opening that you foot goes in through, and rain runs down your legs and gets in.

Mind you, that's my experience when out for hours on the mtb riding through torrential rain and huge puddles.

I've got spesh mtb winter boots, previously had shimano winter boots, but they fell apart after two winters.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I use the Northwave Goretex boots. They're MTB shoes, but they'd be perfect for commuting. They're tough as well.

They keep the water out, but it can still get in at the top. And your toes can still feel the cold through them.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I use some Northwave Celsius road shoes, one size bigger than normal road shoes to allow for thicker merino socks. Used for two winters and keep feet warm and (mainly) dry. As previous poster said, rain can still get in at the top and, being waterproof, there is nowhere for the water to drain from. In a particularly bad downpour last autumn my left foot was swimming in water! Still recommend them though as much better than normal road shoes when the temperatures plummet....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    my overshoes take < 1minute per foot to put on, and much less to get off, i usually only wear them if it's cold+wet

if it's a short journey you'll only get wet if it's hammering down, in which case water will seep in from the ankles anyway

on a long wet journey, eventually water will seep in from the ankles

might as well just get standard shoes, decent bike shoes will dry out fast enough, just avoid leather ones or anything with fabric liners etc.

if you can't bear wet socks, get some waterproof ones such as sealskinz
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I just use overshoes with my normal cycling shoes; your feet will get wet if it's raining hard enough whatever you do, as the rain will get in at the tops of the shoes. Overshoes help keep them warm, and that's the important thing IMO.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}