Is it Normal To Wee So Much After A Ride?

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I've just done my longest ride at 47.7miles in 3hours 20mins which I'm fairly happy with since I'm only 2 weeks into cycling and 40 years old! Anyway, needed a wee when I got in, fine. Then have been twice more in the next two hours which isn't normal for me. And the urge to pee came on very quickly. Is this something I should be concerned about? I only drank 750ml on my ride and have had a brew and a Mars Recovery milkshake ( 180ml ) once home.
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Firstly well done IMO that's a long ride for only 2 weeks in.

The metabolic boost you experience during periods of exercise hastens the need to urinate afterward. Your bladder also has been experiencing a new position and level of compression.

or...

Congratulations you are now pregnant!

You decide :D

I am a doctor, but clearly not of medicine!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    Well, if I'm pregnant I'll be making medical history!!!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I also seem to pass much more water than normal for quite a few hours after a longer/more intense than normal ride. I've always assumed it's the metabolism flushing out toxins and generally keeping itself busy doing stuff such as repairing muscles etc. Water is the body's universal solvent so whenever the metabolism is active and needs to get rid of waste products of these processes it will need water passing through it. I generally also drink plenty water after a ride as it seems sensible to replace what is coming out and keep the kidneys ticking over...

However the sudden urge to urinate you describe is more likely to do with unaccustomed pressure on the bladder/prostate/whatever as team47b implies.