Problem fitting expensive inner tubes

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I was fitting new Conti GP 4000S tyres to my bike this morning and I was going to replace the inner tube on the front for a tube with one with a longer valve. I had 2 spare Specialized inner tubes I had bought a few months ago, so I tried to fit one. I put a little air in it first to shape it, so it was okay to start with, but once I got the tyre on, which was very difficult, the inner must have got damaged, as it wouldn't inflate at all. I removed it and tried the other new inner with the exact same result. Very frustrated I resorted to my original inner tube that I had in the previous tyre, and it inflated no problem after the tyre was fitted.

I think the two new inner tubes must have been damaged around the valve area, but they seemed to be very delicate. They were the 'pre-talc'd' sort and had cost me about £8 each - what a waste of money. I see that I can get Conti inner tubes for only £3.49 at Evans and they get good reviews, so I think I'll buy these as new spares. Saying that, I am hoping I can aviod punctures with these tyres as they were really difficult to get on and off. I thought as they were folding tyres they would be easier than traditional wire bead tyres, but they weren't. I don't know how some guys are able to replace inner tubes at the side of the road in minutes, as it seems to take me ages :(

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Its just practice, dont worry. GP4000 are known for being a tight fit, and the folding tyres are much worce that wire bead. I use folding tyres with the same tubes you mention (Spesh turbo) and have no issues, thought you mush have a good fitting tecnique.

Make sure when you fit the tyre you put the absolute minimum air into the tube you can manage with. Then START at the valve, as this is the most vunrable part and also the first bit is easy to put on. Then work round, and before pushing the last bit on make sure the tube is completely out of sight. Try to pinch it in the top part of the tyres tread area before bushing the last bit of the bead on.

The tubes are easier to change and remove due to the talc, 100g a pair lighter than std tubes and also have an unthreaded stem section to help save your track pump - they are v good tubes but will be less forgiving to abuse/mistakes as they are half as thick. They are also no worse on puntures than std ones.

The tyres are also the worst to put on the 1st time. Keep at it and you'll soon have the hang of it.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    RPD Steve wrote:
    Its just practice, dont worry. GP4000 are known for being a tight fit, and the folding tyres are much worce that wire bead. I use folding tyres with the same tubes you mention (Spesh turbo) and have no issues, thought you mush have a good fitting tecnique.

Make sure when you fit the tyre you put the absolute minimum air into the tube you can manage with. Then START at the valve, as this is the most vunrable part and also the first bit is easy to put on. Then work round, and before pushing the last bit on make sure the tube is completely out of sight. Try to pinch it in the top part of the tyres tread area before bushing the last bit of the bead on.

The tubes are easier to change and remove due to the talc, 100g a pair lighter than std tubes and also have an unthreaded stem section to help save your track pump - they are v good tubes but will be less forgiving to abuse/mistakes as they are half as thick. They are also no worse on puntures than std ones.

The tyres are also the worst to put on the 1st time. Keep at it and you'll soon have the hang of it.
    Thanks, I think I must have inadvertantly damaged the bit of tube at the valve. I certainly had a bit of practice with the front tyre as I had to put it on 3 times before the tube inflated. Unfortunately there was no way I could get the last bit of the tyre on without tyre levers, and even then it was really difficult.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Continental say you should start opposite the valve as its easier to get the tyre down into the well of the rim, then when you get to the last bit at the valve just push it up inside the tyre and roll the last bit of the tyre over the rim. They have a demo video on their website.
  • I use GP4000s on my roadbike and found them very easy to fit on my fulcrum 3's, Infact I would go as far as to say they are the easiest tyre I have fitted. Now a continental podium TT tub on my corima disk wheel was a 3 man job to get on :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I don't put any air in road tyres, just push them right down into the tyre - MTB tubes I do as there is more room...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I see that I can get Conti inner tubes for only £3.49 at Evans and they get good reviews, so I think I'll buy these as new spares. :(

Hope you find these ok. I bought a couple and will not use them again. Don't rate them at all. One tube punctured in 4 places following a collision with a pothole. First time this has happened to me. Second one had the valve leak air. Not impressed.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    It might sound like a p*ss take, but try having a look at some of the videos on Youtube regarding fitting tires.

I have been riding bikes for 20 years and have fitted one or two tires in that time, but after watching a few videos (only about 6 months ago!) I realised that actually there are a 'few tricks' to properly fitting a tire (and making it look easy!)

Generally if you are having to apply a reasonable amount of force and/or you start swearing, it's likely that you haven't moved the 'slack' from other parts of the tire to where you are fitting it.
    Simon