reverb question

mb london
mb london Posts: 96
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to add a RS Reverb to my bike, I have ex 9 which I think is compatible with the stealth version. However both shifters and levers are xt and thus will not house the thumb remote for the reverb. So there is no other choice than to fix it next to the shifters.

So my question is to anyone who has this set up, is the thumb remote to far away from your hand to be able to operate while on the go? do you have to take your hand off the grip to operate it?

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Some dropper post levers are under the seat and you are still able to "operate while on the go" - Surely you should be able to use the lever wherever it's placed on the bar?

As long as brake levers are under your finger and shifters are within reach of your thumb the rest of it (Reverb remote, fork lock-out lever, drinks bottles, GPS units or whatever) doesn't really matter where it is does it?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mb london
    mb london Posts: 96
    Thanks for the reply but I what I meant was as the button will have to quite a way from your hand, will you be able to use it without taking your hand from the grip?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Seen plenty of reverbs fitted next to shifters like that and not heard complaints off the guys.
  • felix.london
    Btw - I put my Reverb remote as far inboard as I could to get it out the way

Just checked - I can reach it with my thumb with my little finger and ring finger still touching the grip. But still unsure why this matters?

Trek Session 8
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Surely depends how you've got your cockpit set up? I ran mine with the brakes in board of the shifters and then the brakes in board of the shifter then the reverb control between the shifter and the grip so was easily able to reach it with my thumb while hand is still in the grip. Personally I preferred a right hand control so could drop the post in emergencies whilst scrubbing speed with the back brake. Btw you don't have to get a none MMX version, the matchmaker adaptor is just and add on to the normal clamp (least it was on the first versions)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    But still unsure why this matters?
    Maybe, just maybe, so that he can drop it whilst already on rough without taking a hand off the grip and crashing...
  • felix.london
    Maybe, just maybe, so that he can drop it whilst already on rough without taking a hand off the grip and crashing...

I guess so, I just can't see why you'd want to change seat height on a part of the trail so rough that you need to hold on with both hands. Surely you should have your seat at the correct height before you reach that part of the trail?

Trek Session 8
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    What if your on a new trail, say you come round a corner and there's a sudden drop etc, quick flick and seats down whilst you've kept going with both hands on the bars.
  • bennett_346

I guess so, I just can't see why you'd want to change seat height on a part of the trail so rough that you need to hold on with both hands. Surely you should have your seat at the correct height before you reach that part of the trail?
    Surely you could save £250 and stop to use a QR clamp but you aren't suggesting that.
  • felix.london
    Was doing that up until about 2 weeks ago! And got mine for £170 :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    Was doing that up until about 2 weeks ago! And got mine for £170 :wink:
    Well there you go then, you clearly do understand ergonomics and are just being pedantic :wink:
  • felix.london
    All I'm saying is it's not an essential bit of kit that needs to be at your finger tips at all times. I can count how many times I used it on my last ride (which was about 20km on lots of different terrain & riding styles) on one, alright two hands :wink:

If the switch was in the middle of the bar, under the seat or on the top tube behind the stem it wouldn't of made any difference to my purchase

So advice to OP is - get a Reverb. An amazing bit of kit and the best upgrade I have made. But don't worry about the remote. It will make no difference wherever you put it.

Trek Session 8
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225

So advice to OP is - get a Reverb. An amazing bit of kit and the best upgrade I have made. But don't worry about the remote. It will make no difference wherever you put it.

I agree its an amazing bit of kit but i think placement of the remote is the most important aspect of it.
    I personally want to have all my controls within distance of my fingers and as it goes for the reverb my thumb without me lifting my hands off my grips.
    kind of defeats the object if you have to slow down to take your hand off your handle bars to operate. :D
  • Had my first ride out today with my new reverb. I positioned the remote under the bars as this gives it more protection from falls and I can still tip the bike upside down without it getting damaged. Because I put it under the bar I can get it a little closer to my hand. I can operate it on the fly but its a bit of a reach. Once I get used to it I can't see it being a problem.