change from hybrid to road bike?

bolts100
bolts100 Posts: 20
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice from some of you experts on here! I am currently commuting daily, which is a 20 mile round trip, on a specialized sirrus elite hybrid and using the same bike at the weekend for 30 - 40 mile rides. I am looking to change my bike for a road bike and am considering a Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple. I test rode the bike and found it a really enjoyable ride but would this be a sensible bike for the rides I am doing or just overkill?

Any help would be great

Regards
Steve

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Great choice for 40 milers at the weekend, whether it's overkill or not depends on you really. Most people on here (me included!) probably ride bikes that are 'overkill' for what they do on them but if you like it and can afford it why not?

That said, depending on where you live the triple might be overkill.
  • bolts100
    Thanks MrChuck, sounds like I might be making the right decision then. I live in Surrey near Box Hill so hope to use it for rides near there.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Agree about the overkill thing. If you can afford it and liked it when you tried it then go for it!

I would recommend something that can take mudguards though if you'll be using it year round. Also do you have to carry stuff? Might be something else to consider.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you like it, go for it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bolts100
    I'll Only going to be carrying a small backpack so no need to attach anything to the frame.

Thanks guys you've helped me towards making my decision. I now cant wait to order, get the bike and take it out on its first ride :D

Thanks
    Steve
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Good call!
    I have a Spec. Roubaix for my 6 mile e/w rural commute; sure, it's overkill, but since it's my main bike use, I care not & it makes for a great trip. Pompetamine flat bar with 'guards, dynamo & hub gears for the wet days (like today).