Best fork mounted front mudguard

Fizzeetoast
Fizzeetoast Posts: 29
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I'm looking to get a few opinions on front mudguards for my mountain bike, I have been doing a little bit of research but it's fairly limited without just asking a few people myself. I want something that's going to do the job well and be durable (I don't want it to fall to bits when I try and fit it) the main 2 i'm looking at are 'THE proline DH front fender' http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10676 and the SKS Shockboard http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25802&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom however any recommendations or advice would be appreciated! Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2012
    I've not tried any of those, but I use the Mucky Nutz Bender Fender, which I find works for me. They're not as long as general mudguards, but I find that they keep most of the mud off the stanchions and my face.

http://muckynutz.com/index.php?route=common/home
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • I was looking for one with a bit more coverage though as i'm trying to keep as much crap off me as possible and those are only really designed to keep stuff off of your face aren't they?:)
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Yeah, mate, they tend to keep a lot of crud off your stanchions and off the face. They're not perfect, but they do reduce the amount of crap thrown up while stil remaining relatively unobtrusive.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The shockboard is very good in use but their quick release mounting method is a bit crap- the plastic cracks too easily on the board side of the mounting, and even when they're not broken they can be wobbly. Not really a problem, I use cable ties to fix mine on properly and they work so very, very well (while not being too ugly either)

Bender Fender is a great wee thing for better weather- most rides have some mud or water in them so they're all-year fits for me, except when proper mud arrives when shockboards go on.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bender Fender here too.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Bender Fender here. It's better than the Neoguard I had before. Those DFender ones by the guys from Mojo look like they'll work a treat but it's a bit of a munter and... £60!!!
  • Thanks for all of the helpful input here. I'm going to take a look at the Bender Fender a bit later I think :)
  • another one for the bender fender here too.

As it happens, I'm just about to try their new "butt-fender" too. I've always been really happy with their products in the past, and at £7 it's worth a punt.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I found the Bender Fender worked great at keeping mud out of your eyes but it hits the tyre when the forks flex (depending on fork/tyre combo) and eventually disintegrated at a race where I really needed it :roll:

Back to using the RRP Neogaurd now but the shockboard always seems to work well, I'm covered after a ride whereas mr smug face only has a few spots on his face.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Well if I can't dazzle people with my riding, I'll just have to use my freakishly clean white riding top instead :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist