which bike out of these two?

j0sh123
j0sh123 Posts: 21
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Specialized hardrock pro disc 2011 or specialized hardrock sport disc 2012?
Both are the same price at my local bike shop, so which one should I go for?
Im wanting to do mainly trails and technical singletrack, and looking to start xc racing regionally.
Any advice would be useful, maybe someone has or does own one of these bikes? or has had some experience with either of them?

cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Neither TBH. Both have mediocre spec and you could do much better. Depending on your budget, which you don't mention, standard recommendations would be Carerra from Halfords or Rockrider from Decathlon. Or look at some of the sale bikes at Pauls Cycles - some amazing bargains to be had.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gwowders
    gwowders Posts: 19
    Hi jOsh123, I'm looking at the 2012 model myself but have seen a few negative comments on here.

Ultimately I don't live near a decathlon store so won't get a chance to test those bikes (the specs do look good but you probably want to take it for a spin), and the resale of a Specialized is probably better than that of the Carrera?

Pauls may have some bargains but again I'd personally want to take one for a spin first before parting with my hard earnedcash.

If I get the Hardrock I know I'll have the support of my local shop, which I reckon is pretty important, especially for folk like me that are finding their feet.

Just my thoughts anyway.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Pro from the two, as the Sport has a very nasty fork.
  • cooldad
    TBH resale value is not the best reason to pick a bike. And there are Halfords all over the place.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • j0sh123 wrote:
    Im wanting to do mainly trails and technical singletrack, and looking to start xc racing regionally.
    Any advice would be useful, maybe someone has or does own one of these bikes? or has had some experience with either of them?

cheers.

I started riding on a 2011 Hardrock Pro and really liked it. Don't know what I'd make of it now however as I've upgraded it beyond recognition: Stumpy '09 frame, Revelation forks, XT brakes, Raceface bars, Hope stem... The list goes on.

First upgrade was frame and forks, everything from the hardrock transferred over nicely.
  • gwowders
    cooldad wrote:
    TBH resale value is not the best reason to pick a bike. And there are Halfords all over the place.

Spot on, good points.

The resale comment was me thinking that, if I decide in a years time that I wanted to jump into this world with both feet I might stand more chance of making some money back from the Specialized than from the Carrera?

So what's so wrong with the forks on the 2012 model? If I do get this one, what will I miss in comparison to a Carrera or decathlon?
  • cooldad
    j0sh123 wrote:

cheers.

I started riding on a 2011 Hardrock Pro and really liked it. Don't know what I'd make of it now however as I've upgraded it beyond recognition: Stumpy '09 frame, Revelation forks, XT brakes, Raceface bars, Hope stem... The list goes on.

First upgrade was frame and forks, everything from the hardrock transferred over nicely.
    Nice one BDJ - so all that's left of your Hardrock is actually a Stumpy?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So what's so wrong with the forks on the 2012 model?

On the Sport? Has absolutely no damping so rebounds like a pogo stick, is astonishingly heavy, tops out, badly sealed, flexes - is a £30 fork. And on the Pro is not as good as the Recon.

The fork on the Rockrider 8.1 is in a different league - lighter, stiffer, more adjustable, great damping.

Oh, the Rockrider and Hardrock frame are made by the same people in the same factory with the same equipment.
  • Fingz999
    Fingz999 Posts: 69
    are you paying with cash if so why not look for a 6month old bike? take it to your local shop and get it serviced job done, ive just paid 380 for a cube acid which is 6 months old and apart from a tiny bit of mud which after id been out for a ride today and cleaned it from that washed off its in shop condition.
  • cooldad
    gwowders wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Spot on, good points.

The resale comment was me thinking that, if I decide in a years time that I wanted to jump into this world with both feet I might stand more chance of making some money back from the Specialized than from the Carrera?

So what's so wrong with the forks on the 2012 model? If I do get this one, what will I miss in comparison to a Carrera or decathlon?
    Or riding it might put you off - the fork is dire. But don't take my word for it
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/2009 ... 13crx.aspx

The fork is probably the most important bit of the bike. Most frames are competent, and in fact made in the same factories. More minor parts can be upgraded cheaply, and in any event won't spoil a ride. A cheap Shimano Acera mech does it's job well. But a rubbish fork will spoil a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gwowders
    Hmmm there are some pretty damning reviews!

Anything I get will be better than what I currently have, but I don't want to waste my money.

How does the 2011 Rockhopper compare? Is it worth the extra £150?
  • cooldad
    This is worth a look. Rockrider 8.2. Reba forks, X9 kit, Mavic wheels. From the pics looks like it's been cared for - clean anyway.
    viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12847855
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gwowders
    cooldad wrote:
    This is worth a look. Rockrider 8.2. Reba forks, X9 kit, Mavic wheels. From the pics looks like it's been cared for - clean anyway.
    viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12847855

Looks nice but I'm going to use the Cycle Scheme to fund this purchase so it'll have to be purchased from new.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    For the type of riding you're suggesting (techy singletrack & XC racing) I don't think you're looking at the right bikes at all. Specialized advertise the Hardrocks as 'urban' bikes. If that's the sort of budget you have and you have you're heart set on racing I'd look at something used. Plenty of good stuff on eBay if you look around.

To echo what cooldad said - I changed the fork on my '06 Rockhopper which was by all accounts a half decent fork already ('06 Marzocchi MX) to a new '11 Reba RL and the difference was like night & day. It literally felt like a new bike (and that's before I'd got the settings dialled in properly).
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Fingz999 wrote:
    are you paying with cash if so why not look for a 6month old bike? take it to your local shop and get it serviced job done, ive just paid 380 for a cube acid which is 6 months old and apart from a tiny bit of mud which after id been out for a ride today and cleaned it from that washed off its in shop condition.

The OP said they want to get into XC racing so better (learn) to service it themselves :wink:

j0sh123 - This is about the same price (atm) as the Sport Disc you were looking at;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/specialized-stumpjumper-comp-ht-/320884972017?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4ab63c19f1#ht_856wt_1185

...and I know which bike I'd rather be riding on techy singletrack or racing round an XC circuit 8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    I bought a 2012 Hardrock Sport Disc about two month ago and LOVE it.

Yeh the fork does all of the mentioned above and it'll be the first thing I replace, but other than that I'm fully stoked on it. The frame construction is amazing, and has a lovely overall shape. The bike overall I personally don't consider heavy at all, but feels solid still.

In an ideal world I would of probably bought the Decathlon, but the world isn't ideal and there is no where near me I can test (or even buy in-store) a decathlon, so would of meant mail order - which I wasn't up for doing as this is my first MTB and needed to check fittings.

The competition was with a Cube Aim Disc - pretty much the same bike as the Hardrock (same fork etc) but with Cube branded frame etc. What swinged it was the Spesh Red Letter promo of 50 quid off - £450 for the Hardrock was too much of a good deal to pass up.

HardrockPub.jpg

I'm 100% happy with the bike and can see the frame lasting many years as I slowly upgrade parts :)

oh and it handles techy singletrack and XC fine :P
  • j0sh123
    j0sh123 Posts: 21
    sorry, forgot to mention, budget is no more than £500