I hate it when a plan comes together!!

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Okay is it one of you lot?

Recent unemployment has meant Mrs W has twisted me arm up my back and made me list a steed on Ebay.

I put a "reasonable" starting Price on it, and now some idiots Bid!!

What can I do to subvert this sale but keep my immaculate Feedback status and make it appear to Mrs W that I did all I could.

I start a new job next week (16 Hours a week with Homebase) :D

Honestly though I ll go ahead with the sale as its the decent thing to do, and then just have to beg her to let me finance a new ride.

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    paint it pink or summats. Make sure that when the buyer collects it isn't as described so they don't want it. Either that or pay a mate to buy it and him give it you back.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    A friend buying it and then 'returning' it as faulty after a week or so would be the best.

I guess making it not as described so a genuine sale falls through would hit your feedback. not a big ebayer but if there were some patently stupid bids going it, could you ask ebay to have the listing removed without blotting your or the bidders copybooks?

Congrats on the job, was it through your own efforts or the Job centre wallas (having read your previous comments on them - son is & I still may be in a similar position. All the advice would be helpful - sorry to hijack the thread, PM or whatever if you feel inclined to answer - cheers)
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Pull the auction.
    Tell the bidder it's been knicked/damaged/repossessed by the finance company.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • tim_wand
    New job definitely nothing to do with the Job Centre. they are only there to verify that you are looking for work and waiting to remove JSA or sign you off at the first opportunity (Not that they would dream of creating that opportunity by helping you find a job.)

I ve been unemployed since the 24 th of Jan, I finally caved in and signed on (First time in 26 years) on March 14 th.
    I was initially told I could work upto 16 hours a week without it affecting my claim.

On the 21 st of March I did a days supply teaching/ cover, (declared it £60 net ) totally wiped out my first week claim.

On the 26 th of March I did another day supply teaching / cover again wiped out the next weeks claim.

There has now been 2 weeks Easter Holiday so no supply work, and I got the job offer from Homebase on the 12th April, so I ve now signed off.

Out of work since 24 th January, total received in JSA Zero, makes twenty six years of PAYE and NI contributions totally worth while.

Got the job by going around individual businesses with my C.V and asking, even initally volunteering is the best route, certainly dont rely on the Job Centre.

As for the bike sale, Mrs W has been very supportive so some sacrifices have to be made for now.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A deal's a deal. Do the decent thing. Or karma will get you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tim_wand
    Cooldad, completely agree, Will honour the bid.

A deal is a deal, Just sometimes Mrs W is a hard one to deal with.

Hopefully the Kharma police will bring me a nice shiny new frame for the Tri season
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    You'll learn that not all ebay sellers are as honest as you...

I bid and won a Boardman Team Alloy for £500 which was a good deal as it was brand new. I was the only bidder -> i guess as it was on a silly end time at ~7pm on Christmas eve!? (you'd have to be an idiot to put it up to finish then!)

Despite me messaging the seller about postage before bidding, and receiving confirmation that they would post it if i did win..

Surprise, surprise they refused to post it!

But i agree that you should honour the sale -> you'll get a new bike later in the year so its not too bad!
  • tim_wand
    Cool dad, is right about Kharma, I always treat others as I would like to be treated.

Just having a carthartic rant about having to sell a bike I built up myself, haven't got to ride much during the crap winter/ spring weather we've had, and now that the better weather and Tri season are here I m going to have to let go.

Means a hell of a lot more to me though knowing I ll continue to contribute to the Mortgage and I ve still got my MTB (Would have sold that instead if I thought I would recoup its worth)

So I ve no right to moan I m in a pretty priveledged positon compared to most.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It does work, not in some weird magical sense, but do right by others and when you need it they'll do right by you.
    Plus I like to sleep easy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    What bike is it? Would any of us want to buy it?
  • tim_wand
    Bahh! Bike sold £520 mortgage covered.

Right now any of you lot selling a size 56 carbon frame? Only kidding :lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,086
    tim wand wrote:
    Bahh! Bike sold £520 mortgage covered.

Right now any of you lot selling a size 56 carbon frame? Only kidding :lol:

Got one on eBay, not sure I am going to honour it though....... :)