Front Light ,what to choose ?

marcin.gala
marcin.gala Posts: 61
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking to buy best front light ,would like to try some night riding on trails in forests nearby !!
Money I like to spend is up to 45£ / 50£max.
There is so many of them I just lost ,any advice ,help choosing one ?
Thanks.

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Have you read "What Lights?" You can get yourself one or even two 18650 torches, a couple of mounts, cells and a charger, or one of the Magicshine type units. Have a read, and if necessary post something in the What Lights Discussion.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I've got the 'simple, all you need to get going' set up linked from the what lights thread. It's awesome on road, haven't used it off road but it's very, very bright and throws the lght far enough to ride full speed on dark country lanes.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • bartimaeus
    It's also good for off road. I'm using a version of the 2010 'all you need' - a P7 SSC torch on the bars and a 501b XML on my lid which works really well. I sometimes add a second XML on the bars :D
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    cree on ebay!!! cheap as chips
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Cree - are they any good ? it's just plenty of them on ebay lol
  • bartimaeus
    Cree make LEDs - and they make very good LEDs. You need to know 'which' LED is in the light you are buying, and you need to consider what the power source is, and what the drivers are doing.

The What Lights thread will point you at XML LEDs (by Cree) powered by 18650 cells - which give much more punch than AAs... and you get them running at a claimed 510 Lumens up to over 1000 Lumens. An XML torch will set you back less than £12 if you buy it from Dealextreme or one of the other Hong Kong based sellers - some of which have UK warehouses. You will need 18650 cells for these, and a dedicated charger - but the cells are only £2.50 and a charger costs £5 or so. The XML LED is what's in a Joystick Mk5.

The previous generation of Cree LEDs were the XPGs and before that XREs... so it's not the 'Cree' bit that tells you what you are buying.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    7w Cree Q5 LED Mountain Bike Bicycle Cycle Zoomable Lights + 7 LED Rear Light i got this one and its very bright for the pennys that it is on ebay has zoom bright and dim and flash cant go wrong an if its not what you want its aleays good ta have this as a spare set just incase i give it 10/10 for what it is oh and the range is pretty good aswell depends what ya want tho
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Well finally I finish with Hope Vision 2led older version 300lumens.
    Should receive them shortly and will upload some picture.
    Got them from ebay used ,but in good condition ---will see ;-)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    these were reviewed in mbr cheap but decent i know someone who has one and they pretty dam powerful. plenty for nightrides..

i got a hope vision led and a hope vision 4 both are good lights had them for years...