OT: Opinion on eye discomfort

asquithea
asquithea Posts: 145
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Entirely OT, but looking for some reassurance or otherwise. I'm booked in to see my optician on Monday.

I'm having some discomfort in one eye - it feels slightly swollen, and it got progressively more bloodshot during the day. The pupils appear to be unequal; the scary eye's pupil shrinks as normal, but doesn't dilate as much as the other eye. I don't have halos or blurred vision, and so far the pupil looks round rather than oval. I wear contacts (monthly lenses, but freshly changed this week), and I've had a little redness and discomfort since before the Easter break (so over two sets of lenses). Wearing glasses over the long Easter weekend didn't get rid of the redness.

Scary eye: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/dsc0023hk.jpg/
Normal eye: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/dsc0024zg.jpg/

Needless to say, Internet searches bring up scary stuff like Acute Closed-angle Glaucoma, which apparently can lead to blindness rather quickly, but as always with these things, it's easy to talk yourself into thinking you have some of the symptoms, and I don't fit the age profile (I'm 30).

Anyone happen to be an ophthalmologist? Should I be alarmed enough to camp out in my opticians tomorrow, or can it wait until Monday?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    It's been a week already if you wore glasses over Easter, you'll be fine until Monday. If you don't sleep tonight because you are worrying, then go tomorrow for your peace of mind, but not because you're going blind.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Few years back I got iritis http://www.eyehelp.co.uk/iritis-explained.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iritis , looks similar but really hurt a lot. Go see the doctor or eye clinic at a and e.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asquithea
    Thanks for the advice, both of you.

I reckon I'll see how it is tomorrow. If it actually hurts (it doesn't really at the moment), I'll head over the A&E; otherwise, I'm probably better going to see the ophthalmologist at my normal optician, where they've got the benefit of my eye and contact lens check results from the tail end of last year.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Have you been half bitten by a werewolf? As in a 'bit nibbled on one side of the body' ? I would prescribe half a silver pessary, splashing your face with a 50/50 blend of evian and holy water, and keeping a razor handy when the moon changes.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    If you are anywhere Old Street roundabout in London, then you can pop into Moorfields Eye Hospital A&E. If not then that's not much use. Um... yeah.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I find your non-scary eye to be the most disturbing :shock:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Doesn't look or sound too bad to me. If you get vision problems or it starts really hurting then I'd trouble the medical profession, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

You have checked for grit/other schmutter, right?

Either way, isn't this what your mum said would happen if you didn't leave it alone?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asquithea
    Now I have an eye as my avatar (o)

It's bad enough that I was getting comments from colleagues. I looked carefully for grit, lashes etc, but nothing's there, so I reckon there might be a bit of infection or something. I guess I'll find out on Monday.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    You know you can get over the counter drops for pink eye
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Searching for medical advice on the internet is a terrible idea (I do it myself all the time). Inevitably you are going to find people with conditions similar to your own who have been diagnosed with something horrendous and then you end up panicking for days until you can see a doctor who ends up telling you not to be a big girl.

If you wear contacts then an irritation/mild infection is surely likely, but what the hell do I know? Just wait to see your doctor and in the short term, have fun scaring small children.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    Some activities do cause blindness. Are you short as well? If so, I would say you should cut down a bit.