Hope headset cap with star fangled nut?

markyhud
markyhud Posts: 98
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Adding a bit of bling and thinking of the red Hope headset top cap. I realise you need the head doctor bolt as the hole on the cap is a bigger diameter but can I use this with a star fangled nut? I am presuming it is the same as a standard bolt. I think the main concern might be the bolt length. Anyone know the length and suitability?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It's fine, I use mine with a star fangled nut.
  • markyhud
    peter413 wrote:
    It's fine, I use mine with a star fangled nut.
    Nice one. It was a toss up between the raceface cap and the hope but the red hope looks very nice. Do you know off the top of your head if the Hope bolt is the same length as standard bolts? Only reason I ask is I have read a review and someone expressed a concern over the length of the bolt.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The starnut only needs pushing down a cm at most, should be fine.

Exotic were doing carbon top caps and bolts for 7 quid.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It's not noticeably different but then a few of the different headsets on my bikes have slightly different bolt lengths so it probably just depends on the headset, not sure why it would be a concern.
  • markyhud
    Just concerned that the bolt may be shorter and not really get a good hold of the star fangled thingy. Probably just worrying over nowt.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The only thing is, the bolt that fits the hope top-cap is really weak, lots of people snap them. I've snapped one, and I've never snapped any other top-cap bolt in my life...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • markyhud
    ilovedirt wrote:
    The only thing is, the bolt that fits the hope top-cap is really weak, lots of people snap them. I've snapped one, and I've never snapped any other top-cap bolt in my life...

Right racface one it is then!!