Stripping a frame for Powdercoat

arcing
arcing Posts: 57
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'm sending my frame of for powder coat next week, I'll be stripping it this weekend. I can obviously do most of that myself, but would need to take it to the LBS to remove the headset and bottom bracket. This made me question whether they actually need removing if they'll be masked off anyway. The consideration I guess is the temperature that the frame will be exposed to during the post powder coat bake.

Bottom Bracket is Shimano BB-ES25 and the headset is the standard specialized integrated headset that came with the frame.

Can I save myself the bother of removing them, the cost of removal, and the cost of refit?

Ta

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    NO! Just buy the tools! A Puller, bb tool, screw driver and hammer should do the lot.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Out of interest how much is it costing to get it powder coated

Cheers
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i doubt they would even take the frame if it still had components attached

BB takes 2 mins to remove
  • arcing
    arcing Posts: 57
    Suggestion here is its ok to remove the headset with a screw driver and hammer? guess I can give it a go gently. I'll invest in a crank puller and bb tool.

I've been quoted £65 to blast, powdercoat and lacquer.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    arcing wrote:

Sounds like a bargain, it'd cost you more than that to buy the rattle cans to do it yourself.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • keni
    keni Posts: 3
    I've removed headsets with socket set using the biggest one that will fit down the tube and CAREFULLY hammering out the bottom then the top. Watch out for the top one shooting out and breaking the lights -expensive experience. Not ideal but cost effective just take care.
    Keni
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    JimboM wrote:
    arcing wrote:

Sounds like a bargain, it'd cost you more than that to buy the rattle cans to do it yourself.
    Can of etch primer £15, 2 colour £12, one lacquer £6, that's not £65!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    keni wrote:
    I've removed headsets with socket set using the biggest one that will fit down the tube and CAREFULLY hammering out the bottom then the top. Watch out for the top one shooting out and breaking the lights -expensive experience. Not ideal but cost effective just take care.

Turn the frame upside down?
  • keni
    keni Posts: 3
    Too easy!! and where is the fun.
    Keni