fixing a tyre

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I recently bought a lovely pair of Vittoria Corsa Evo tyres.

But I've been getting quite a few punctures and the rear (in particular) appears to have a couple of nasty slices on it. I've popped on some GP 4 seasons for the time being but is there anyway of fixing these slices - each about 60mm long. Or are the tyres kaput?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Stop riding through glass?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • superglue apparently works quite well... but 60mm??? over 2" is a big slit!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    mmmm, pizza
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    You could superglue them up and put a "boot" (bit of old tyre) inside the casing

But really, it's a waste of time unless you are stuck without tyres
  • clarkey cat
    Yea sorry dont think I meant 60mm - 0.6cm whatever that is.

Cheers Vorsrpung. Thats £35 down the swanny. Serves me right for buying snazzy tyres.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    make punctures a thing of the the past with another Mudcow production

tired of punctures?

then why not fill your inner tube with "postcrete" it goes off fast mind so be sure to get that sucka back in your tyre before it becomes as hard as 16yr old watching late night hollyoaks

on a serious note, im told the glue that you get with puncture kits is quite good at repairing tyres, dont know how true that is though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat
    Can give it a go cant I.
    Hate not having matching tyres.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've used superglue gel (which is flexible) to repair slits - problem is when tyres are under pressure its asking a lot of the glue. Tends to hold for a while then opens up again. Superglue a small section of old tyre inside the casing - should prevent any problems, but probably affects the balance of the tyre. A friend swears by some kind of shoe glue, not sure what it is though. Evo Corsas are pretty flimsy aren't they? Currently deciding on my next set of tyres. Pro Race 3s, Ultremo ZX and Diamantes all available for around £40 a pair at the moment (of course that means I want GP4000S!)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    superglue apparently works quite well... but 60mm??? over 2" is a big slit!

it does but that that's a feck off cut in the tyre. I think glue might make it a bumpy ride
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clarkey cat
    Yea pretty flimsy. But fast - and good looking. Which is the main reason I bought them natch.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've used Shoe Goo or Freesole in the past. They're both fairly toxic, but flexible enough.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    BigMat wrote:
    I've used superglue gel (which is flexible) to repair slits - problem is when tyres are under pressure its asking a lot of the glue. Tends to hold for a while then opens up again. Superglue a small section of old tyre inside the casing - should prevent any problems, but probably affects the balance of the tyre. A friend swears by some kind of shoe glue, not sure what it is though. Evo Corsas are pretty flimsy aren't they? Currently deciding on my next set of tyres. Pro Race 3s, Ultremo ZX and Diamantes all available for around £40 a pair at the moment (of course that means I want GP4000S!)

Ribble still seem to be about the cheapest for gp4000s - about £28 each at the moment. Think my best price for them was £23 ea.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?