Dismantle A Wheel

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an old set of wheels that I want to dismantle but I want to keep the rims. I plan at some point to have the rims built on to another set of hubs, so I want to keep the rims in tacked. What's the best why to remove the spokes so that the rim doesn't go all out of shape and no longer usable.

I have had a search about and results where mainly about lacing a wheel or replacing one or two spokes.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Doesn't really matter.

Just take a couple of turns out of the nipple working your way round a couple of times. Then remove nipples and spokes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't cut the spokes, do it gradually. A turn a time on the nipples will be fine until they're slack, then just unwind one by one.
  • jedi_master
    Wasn't planning to cut them. Just to recap, instead on completely undoing one nipple at a time, I undo each, one turn at a time going round the rim until the nipples are slack the then undo them fully.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's the one.
  • jedi_master
    Thanks.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Remember to label the piles of spokes thus if you plan on reusing the spokes:

- Front Wheel NDS
    - Front Wheel DS

- Rear Wheel NDS
    - Rear Wheel DS

If the front wheel is a non-disc hub wheel then, there only needs to be 3 piles as the spoke lengths of the front wheel DS and NDS are equal.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    if you are planning on using the same rim on a different hub, why not just leave the wheel as it is until you are ready to change?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails