Rabobank - do they actually understand race tactics?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2012 in Pro race
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/wiele ... abo__.html

Case in point.

They claim they are riding into Amstel gold with 6 protected riders.

Now given the team sizes are either 8 or 9, how on earth are they going to do this?

Comments

• Maybe they just don't want you (or anyone else) to know who they are riding for!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It sort of sums up Rabo's squad in most races. They've got plenty of good B grade riders but no very good A grade riders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    It sort of sums up Rabo's squad in most races. They've got plenty of good B grade riders but no very good A grade riders.

Absolutely.

However, a season can't go by without a few WTF moments re- Rabo's tactics.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I think they have a bit of a Newcastle Unitedesque attitude and think they have a divine right to win everything and get a ProTour licence. I think a short sharp relegation to Pro-Conti would do them good tbh!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I bet Renshaw would love that...!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Renshaw's not on the start list. Where's he/will he be?
  • rick_chasey
    skylla wrote:

GT's
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    The trouble for Rabobank is that they don't really have a rider who is suited to the punchy climbs of the Ardennes. Gesink, Mollema and Kruijswijk are suited to longer alpine ascents, whilst Boom and Breschel are more suited to the cobbled races.

With the Amstel being the largest race in Holland they have to at least be seen to be trying to win it, so they have to make positive noises in advance and go with an approach that gives them their best chance of winning (which would be getting one of their climbers away in a break that stays away to the finish).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    At least with Freire gone they don't have to protect him to the bottom of the Cauberg only for him to lose 40 seconds on the final ascent.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    skylla wrote:

GT's

Yeah, sorry - I meant getting relegated...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...