Quentin Rayner

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12847560

Keep up at the back ;).
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Fucking ignorant prat should be slapped live on air then forced to correct his statement.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Words fail me..

Pedestrians don't pay 'road tax' either.. Does that mean it's ok to mow them down as they cross the road??
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    We all know Quentin Rayner is not alone in that belief.

If some tw@t squashes any of our number flat in a motor vehicle it's our fault for having the audacity to ride a bike on the highway which our taxes have paid for.

Come on you lot we ALL KNOW THE SCORE. :twisted:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Frank, You saying you want Boris Johnson for PM? :shock:
  • Frank the tank
    tim wand wrote:
    Frank, You saying you want Boris Johnson for PM? :shock:

Sorry mate, that's gone over me 'ead.
    Tail end Charlie

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Boris Johnson is just about the most visible pro cyclist MP there is,

Problem is though hes even more the epitomy of Harry Enfields tory boy than William Hague
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    truly shocking - and what was the judge on "The judge told the driver he had been guilty of “an appalling loss of concentration” but did not hand down a sentence that might send out a message to other drivers, that motoring requires 100 percent concentration ."
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

• That thread is behind enemy lines. :|

Brian: "We should unite against our common enemy!"
    Others: "The Judean People's Front?"
    Brian: "No! The Romans!"

Surely we can unite on the topic of Quetin Rayner's idiocy?
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • He's a TOOL...and a blunt one at that...does he wear 2 hats ???
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I give Rayner the benefit of the doubt - I reckon he was clumsily trying to dispel the myth that many drivers have about so-called road tax and gave a cycling official the opportunity to explain why cyclists ride on main roads.
  • And what about the vehicals you can buy with v low emitions that are VED excempt
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    random man wrote:
    I give Rayner the benefit of the doubt - I reckon he was clumsily trying to dispel the myth that many drivers have about so-called road tax and gave a cycling official the opportunity to explain why cyclists ride on main roads.
    Not according to his email reply to my complaint. This is the first time I have ever felt the need to complain about an article on the TV.

I am sorry you found tonight’s interview so offensive. I assure you that was not the intention. More importantly we certainly did not intend to upset Karl Austin’s family.

The purpose of the interview was to challenge the organiser about the wisdom of using busy roads for time-trials particularly since this was the second death in seven years on the A50. Bear in mind also there was a death recently on the A1 at Blyth.

The family’s demand for tougher sentences was reflected in the report which preceded the interview along with the judge’s comments. Karl Austin’s experience and safety consciousness were also emphasised. But we have to balance any report with both sides of the argument and many motorists will have the criticisms I put to the interviewee, who was able to refute the points I put to him.

I accept your points about tax and I am now much more informed on that matter.

Yours sincerely,

Quentin Rayner
  • Vesterberg
    Vesterberg Posts: 330
    Jeez what a lot of fuss about nothing (the interview, not the accident). Sometimes it's no surprise that cyclists come across as prickly and self-righteous. It's a staple of BBC interview technique to play devils advocate (listen to Today for example for much more bullish examples) and with good reason. He hardly laboured the point and let the guy respond in full - better to have the myth dispelled than glossed over. He's a BBC interviewer and has no duty to be pro or anti cycling. I think the debate about TT's on busy roads is one that needs to be had in any event.
  • Vesterberg wrote:
    Jeez what a lot of fuss about nothing (the interview, not the accident). Sometimes it's no surprise that cyclists come across as prickly and self-righteous. It's a staple of BBC interview technique to play devils advocate (listen to Today for example for much more bullish examples) and with good reason. He hardly laboured the point and let the guy respond in full - better to have the myth dispelled than glossed over. He's a BBC interviewer and has no duty to be pro or anti cycling. I think the debate about TT's on busy roads is one that needs to be had in any event.

As a BBC interviewer, the onus is on him to be accurate in his reporting.
    The manner in which the interview was conducted perpetuates the Road Tax myth, and reinforces the "bloody cyclists" mindset.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    "But, you don't pay any road tax, how do you justify using the highways?"

Ever heard of a 'loaded question'? He was giving voice to the 'other side' who were not present and queuing up the interviewee to respond on this oft used argument. Perfectly fine in my mind. Save your vitriol for the Clarkson's of this world.
  • Frank the tank
    TTing on A roads is a dangerous persuit, so are a lot of other sports/passtimes. Mountain climbing, parachuting, skiing, the list goes on. People persue these sports at their own risk IMHO.

Off at a tangent time, if TTing on a A road goes t1ts up no one else has to risk their life to come and rescue you, unlike mountaineering for example. Also over the last twenty or so years I would say more people have been killed watching football than participating in TTs/cycling.
    Tail end Charlie

• TTing on A roads is a dangerous persuit, so are a lot of other sports/passtimes. Mountain climbing, parachuting, skiing, the list goes on. People persue these sports at their own risk IMHO.

Off at a tangent time, if TTing on a A road goes t1ts up no one else has to risk their life to come and rescue you, unlike mountaineering for example. Also over the last twenty or so years I would say more people have been killed watching football than participating in TTs/cycling.

As you mention, all sport carries a risk.
    However, the piece references the fact that the organising CC chose the scheduled time to minimize that risk.
    Also, I'm confident that Karl Austin was an accomplished TT'er, and knew the "hot spots" of that route.
    All that is irrelevant however, as the theme to this thread (and the one on commuting chat)is the inaccurate tone of Aunties piece, which carries the risk of playing into the hands of the cycling hating drivers lobby.
    PS. I'm sure the Austin family will be consoled by your views.
  • Frank the tank
    TTing on A roads is a dangerous persuit, so are a lot of other sports/passtimes. Mountain climbing, parachuting, skiing, the list goes on. People persue these sports at their own risk IMHO.

As you mention, all sport carries a risk.
    However, the piece references the fact that the organising CC chose the scheduled time to minimize that risk.
    Also, I'm confident that Karl Austin was an accomplished TT'er, and knew the "hot spots" of that route.
    All that is irrelevant however, as the theme to this thread (and the one on commuting chat)is the inaccurate tone of Aunties piece, which carries the risk of playing into the hands of the cycling hating drivers lobby.

Appologies if I came across as insensitive that wasn't my intent. His death was tragic. I was trying to make the point that a lot of sports are dangerous and that should not be a reason for banning them. I'm sure Mr Austin was well aware of the risk he/we all take when riding on busy roads but I'm equally sure he wouldn't have wanted to have been prevented from participating. That was the point I was making.

Again appologies if I caused offence.
    Tail end Charlie

• bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    What a daft comment. In the extremely unlikely event the Austin family read this thread, I'm sure they would agree that TTing is a dangerous pursuit. This doesn't make the riders death any less tragic.
  • bartman100 wrote:
    What a daft comment. In the extremely unlikely event the Austin family read this thread, I'm sure they would agree that TTing is a dangerous pursuit. This doesn't make the riders death any less tragic.

Again
    As a BBC interviewer, the onus is on him to be accurate in his reporting.
    The manner in which the interview was conducted perpetuates the Road Tax myth, and reinforces the "bloody cyclists" mindset.

This is the main thrust of the thread.
    TT'ing isn't.
    Bear that in mind, if you're unfortunate enough to come across a knuckle dragging driver who uses the "Road Tax Defence"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    e999sam - please give me the e-mail address for this Rayner bloke.I could not deduce it from the vid. I will give him the full wrath and post the reply here.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Vesterberg
    e999sam - please give me the e-mail address for this Rayner bloke.I could not deduce it from the vid. I will give him the full wrath and post the reply here.
    Alternatively, you could get a life and stop giving us all a bad name.
  • It's not inconceivable that a member of Mr Austin's family reads this thread. The comment by Mr Rayner was incredibly insensitive and inciteful, it lends a justification to the small minority of drivers who see cyclists as "intruders" who can be bullied and intimidated off the roads by driving close, side-swiping, left-hooking, whatever. Mr Rayner is encouraging drivers who think cyclists don't deserve to be on the road and should accept whatever happens to them without complaint. Even death.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd like to see the whole piece rather than just that clip. However I struggle to see how a discussion about a man convicted of causing the death of a cyclist leads to the question about cyclists not paying road tax. I'm not saying that the guy can't ask difficult questions - maybe about the wisdom of riding on dual carriageways - but the you don't pay road tax argument just doesn't seem relevant and in the context very insensitive.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Vesterberg
    The comment by Mr Rayner was incredibly insensitive and inciteful
    Really???, I mean really, really??? He was questioning why TT's are held on busy roads such as this - giving the respondent the opportunity to explain and therefore enlighten the viewing public. He already apologised for his tax faux pas (see email). Cut the man some slack god damn it.

We're all agreed, I think, that this was an avoidable and tragic event and we can all empathise with the rider's family. But there are people out there really deserving of our wrath - people like James Martin who should have been hung out to dry.

Seriously, there is a reason why cyclists are seen by some drivers as self-righteous and conceited and this thread demonstrates why. This is more of an issue than some perceived slight by Mr Rayner.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865

Your thoughts on mountaineers being rescued by people risking thier lives is as ill informed as the road tax argument. Every member of a mountain rescue team is also a mountaineer and they go out on rescues voluntarilly. The helicopters are actually there to rescue downed pilots,however they have to log flight hours and 'civilian' rescues are part of this and they view it as some of the best training possible.

Sorry to hijack the thread but the reckless mounatineer stuff is the same type of daily mail rubbish as all cyclists jump red lights and should pay road tax.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Vesterberg wrote:
    Alternatively, you could get a life and stop giving us all a bad name.
    I'm sure if you Google Quentin Rayner you will find his email address.
  • Vesterberg wrote:
    The comment by Mr Rayner was incredibly insensitive and inciteful
    He already apologised for his tax faux pas (see email).

It's rather more than a faux pas when a presenter reinforces thuggery, I mean, you cycle, right? What's the first think a meat head knuckle dragger shouts at cyclists? Rayner made a mistake about tax, fine, you'd think he'd be better informed but what the hey. But to say after a man has been killed that, effectively, nobody should complain is shocking.