Cold Cure

Muffintop
Muffintop Posts: 296
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hello,

I woke with a Cold today, and I have a Sportive on Sunday. Any ideas to nip this in the bud now? It's proving to be quite a heavy one (I have sore arms).

Mx
FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com

Comments

• vitamin c
    honey and hot water
    paracetamol
    asprin
    rest

let your body take care of it
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's a virus. Last time I checked they hadn't discovered a cure. If your arms are aching already I'm not sure you'll be doing your sportive on Sunday :(
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Hot water, 2 x spoonfuls of honey, half spoonful of powdered ginger, slice of lemon. Take with your painkiller of choice (I recommend Anadin Extra). A very pleasant, soothing drink, the ginger gives it a real aromatic kick. I used it when I had a cold last month. Doubt it will clear up in two days though. :(
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Low intensity exercise is supposed to boost your immune response.

Just don't do anything too strenuous.. and definitely don't do it in the cold!
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    If it's not too far advanced then Vicks First Defence can be worth a try
  • Amoger
    Amoger Posts: 46
    Echinecea works in the very early stages.

...I say "works" - seemingly the only thing that works in double-blind trials is zinc (not even Vit C) but I guess that's in the defence stage.

Some people swear by paracetamol/cold&flu pills for nipping a cold in the bud. Don't push it if you're feeling under the weather, and definitely not if anything on the chest. Good luck.
  • Muffintop
    Cheers guys,

Except Keef66 - your breaking my heart mate.

Will try the ginger/honey concoction. Have also purchased Lemsip 8 hour (ibruprofen) and Night Nurse so shake me and I rattle.

Fyi, after a string colds and flu after the Ullapool Beag, I got Vicks First Defence. This is my first cold in 6 months so, not including this it's pretty much worked.

Mx

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I'm sure that you aren't one of those people who thinks that a sportive is somehow a race.

If you were, of course, you'd test positive off the scale! :)
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    What viruses really hate is heat. So, either play squash or similar in the warm or if you're not up to it the hottest bath you've ever had. I reckon you have time for a couple. :oops: :oops:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Know how you feel Muffintop. Me too!!! Am in training for Paris to oxford 100 miles a day in 3 days in June. So today was looking to do 75 miles. Had cold come on in last two days. Been taking warm showers, early nights and lemsips with honey. Just going to get tonic drink to see if that helps. Good luck and hope all goes well for sunday. x
  • Muffintop
    Cheers Guys!

I'm actually feeling a lot better. I'm about to crack open a double vit c drink and mibbies an ibuprofen but I don't feel half as bad as I did yesterday. I'm well on for tomorrow (Sunday) now!

Mx

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Good luck on your ride.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Beechams to reduce the symptoms, otherwise I'm afraid you're fooked. You'll feel better you'r body has dealt with the virus. If it's a heavy cold, it's likely that youll feel sh*t whilst riding.

If you're aching, I'd give Sunday a miss, you'll struggle and fele even worse when you finish.

Sorry to put a downer on things, but that's pretty much the way it is.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Muffintop
    Hello All,

Managed the ride! Not too far behind a couple of well fitters so I'm quite pleased.

Mx

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Nice going, must feel great. :)