BBC reporter being an idiot. No waay.

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Are you sure he was just playing devil's advocate and giving the gentleman he was interviewing the chance to shoot down this widely believed myth that anyone pays 'road tax'?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Are you sure he was just playing devil's advocate and giving the gentleman he was interviewing the chance to shoot down this widely believed myth that anyone pays 'road tax'?

An interviewer should know the subject he's interviewing about.

Any chump can turn up with widely held beliefs and ask wrong and stupid questions.
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    I think most likely he was just trying to do an unscripted interview without a lot of preparation. It's not like we even saw the rest of the interview for context.
  • rick_chasey
    asquithea wrote:
    I think most likely he was just trying to do an unscripted interview without a lot of preparation.

Ergo, idiot.
  • Are you sure he was just playing devil's advocate and giving the gentleman he was interviewing the chance to shoot down this widely believed myth that anyone pays 'road tax'?

You could always tweet to ask him :wink:
    @quentinrayner
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    He has a photo of him and Katie Price on his Twitter page. Make of him what you will.

IMAG1610.jpg
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Muppet!

The trouble is that he is just reiterating what the majority of the Country thinks is fact.

The use of the phrase "Road Tax" should be banned from use by officials and media.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    IIRC there are a far few cars available now which you don't have to pay VED, as it's based on CO2 emissions. This would be the response I would give the reporter.

Questions of licensing and unsurance can be more difficult to defend, but any argument based on VED or road tax is a compete non starter.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357

Any chump can turn up with widely held beliefs and ask wrong and stupid questions.

From family experience, regional BBC journos tend to decide what the "story" is and then badger the interviewee into saying something to support the journo's viewpoint. Knowing the subject and objective reporting are way down the list.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

From family experience, regional BBC journos tend to decide what the "story" is and then badger the interviewee into saying something to support the journo's viewpoint. Knowing the subject and objective reporting are way down the list.

And people wonder why everyone moans about the news?

TV News reporting in the UK really really bugs me.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Perhaps we should ask pedestrians who get knocked over how they justify crossing the road given they don't pay 'road tax' either. Bloke should be sacked for that.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:

And people wonder why everyone moans about the news?

TV News reporting in the UK really really bugs me.

I would advise you to never watch local TV news in America then.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I would advise you to never watch local TV news in America then.
    I know!

Seems the BBC thinks what they do is something to aim for.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    That smirk while asking the road-tax question gives it away; sad to see trolling on the beeb :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    http://youtu.be/9UiWji4osR0

I used to use this video to show how awful East-Anglian people are.

Edit: http://youtu.be/XaMt6FBfI_U Their - apology/response.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    http://youtu.be/9UiWji4osR0

I used to use this video to show how awful East-Anglian people are.

Edit: http://youtu.be/XaMt6FBfI_U Their - apology/response.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aMt6FBfI_U
  • rick_chasey
    Changed :P
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

Okay, I just viewed it again. What a total plonker! Very shoddy reporting.

I do sometimes wish the cycling community had an eloquent, charismatic, non-motor-vehicle-hating spokesperson that could get the message across a little better than most people I see interviewed on the matter, however. No offence to the chap being interviewed in this clip, but he should perhaps have torn the interviewer a new one for being so insensitive and for offering that tired, false old argument yet again.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    If a child had been run down, would the insensitive tw@t have asked if they paid road-tax?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I wish the arguments could be dropped about whether or not tax of any kind has been paid, and concentrate on the idea that UK roads are a shared national resource free to all comers, and that payment of any kind does not create any hierarchy of access. From my favourite 'girl on a horse' all the way up to huge Polish juggernauts, there's nothing that provides for any user to claim greater access, whether by payment or any other factor. We pragmatically accept that might is right but that's nothing to do with money changing hands.

The issue isn't who's paid tax or what it's called, it's that money doesn't trump other road users.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    kelsen wrote:
    He has a photo of him and Katie Price on his Twitter page. Make of him what you will.

IMAG1610.jpg

Well that about sums him up - non-entity meets non-celebrity