Sunglasses Vanity Question

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Top pair or second pair, don't like the 6th pair. The second pair look like the DHB glasses from Wiggle.

Have you bought from that site before? I'd be interested to know if they're any good. I've been promising myself some prescription glasses for riding and they look a lot cheaper than I was expecting.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    i know someone who wears soemthing very similar to the yellow pair - and I still find them a bit weird looking. I prefer contacts , my concern about these is if I have a spill and they get broken miles from home I am fyuked. Esp when on MTB.
  • LeicesterLad
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Top pair or second pair, don't like the 6th pair. The second pair look like the DHB glasses from Wiggle.

Have you bought from that site before? I'd be interested to know if they're any good. I've been promising myself some prescription glasses for riding and they look a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

The price is so cheap it has me worried but i think i'm going to make a purchase. If they are sh*t its not a huge loss money wise...
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

The price is so cheap it has me worried but i think i'm going to make a purchase. If they are sh*t its not a huge loss money wise...

Fair point. Please provide some feedback if you decide to buy them. Otherwise I'll keep saving for the Rudy Projects in my local opticians.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    My preference?
    No.1 for the sunny days.
    No.4 for the usual days :wink:

But that's just my opinion. Your's is the only one that counts.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • LeicesterLad
    Looks like a toss up between top and second then, think Second pair look nicer but don't know whether the lens may be a bit dark for everyday riding...
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Top or second, the 6th ones down are shockers.
  • jordan_217
    Looks like a toss up between top and second then, think Second pair look nicer but don't know whether the lens may be a bit dark for everyday riding...

On the second page you can get three pairs (smoke, clear and yellow) for £60. They look like the second pair too.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    You buying them with px lenses fitted? If so, they have photochromatic lenses in 2 colours in the drop down box.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • LeicesterLad
    Aggieboy wrote:
    You buying them with px lenses fitted? If so, they have photochromatic lenses in 2 colours in the drop down box.

Excuse my ignorance Aggie, but I was lost at 'px' let alone photochromatic... Please explain to a sunglasses newbie like me :oops:
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Moondog - look ideal for someone already on the sex offenders register
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Think Aggie means , PX = Prescription and photochromatic are just lenses which react or adjust to the light conditions accordingly.

Photochromatic lenses can be a bit slow sometimes like riding out and under tree cover which can leave you a bit in the dark literally sometimes, Transitions lenses tend to be the best of these type.

When I was a rich boy I had some Oakleys with transitions PX lenses and they were awesome, also £400.

Some dirt bag nicked them, my only satisfaction is theres someone somewhere struggling with my milk bottle bottoms prescription who though he got himself a pair of radars.

P.S I d seriously look at 1 or 2 if they do a three colour lense PX option
  • LeicesterLad
    tim wand wrote:
    Think Aggie means , PX = Prescription and photochromatic are just lenses which react or adjust to the light conditions accordingly.

Photochromatic lenses can be a bit slow sometimes like riding out and under tree cover which can leave you a bit in the dark literally sometimes, Transitions lenses tend to be the best of these type.

When I was a rich boy I had some Oakleys with transitions PX lenses and they were awesome, also £400.

Some dirt bag nicked them, my only satisfaction is theres someone somewhere struggling with my milk bottle bottoms prescription who though he got himself a pair of radars.

P.S I d seriously look at 1 or 2 if they do a three colour lense PX option

Would the Photochromatic part be the outside lense? and then have clear inserts? I need inserts because its a strong perscription and ive found no Sunglasses who will make proper lenses for my prescription - So obviously if the inserts were Photochromatic and the outer lenses were grey or coloured anyway it would defy the object. Am I understanding this right? Or am i being a moron?

Ps. Some thieving rat stole my best Raybans in portugal one year, prescription aswell so whoever nicked them couldn't see through them. Probably one of the saddest days of my life. :x
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Aggieboy wrote:

I'm also looking at these glasses.. but I assume the photo-chromatic lens is the inner insert?

In that case wouldn't it look very odd? with a clear outer lens and a photo-chromatic inner?

and it also might reduce the effectiveness of the lens because the clear outer lens would block some of the UV? -> in a similar way to car windscreens, which makes photo-chromatic lenses less than ideal for driving as they don't dim enough?
  • tim_wand
    At this price I would imagine the prescription lense is clear and the outer is reacting to light conditons.

Also for the reason Alihisgreat stated , the lense at the back wouldnt react if there was some kind of light or UV block feature in the lense forward of this.

I ve only ever used one piece prescription light reactive lenses so I am not familiar with the insert set up.

I got my first pair free when I was in the Gulf with the Army, You could always sign up for Six months in Afghanistan might be worth it for £400 worth of sunglasses, Would nt do much for your training though L/L

Probably not that dissimilar to a night ride through Beaumont Leys or Glenfields.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I think all of these glasses that have the prescription (px) insert will cost a fair bit more. From some research I've done previously, the size of the insert will mean some px's may not be suitable. Also the px insert will sit much closer to the eyes and may interfere with eye lashes and get greasy. they will also fog up much more easily and be a bugger to wipe clean due to being so close to the outer lens.

All in all, i would prefer to buy glasses with the px in the main lens. yes they cost more, but ease of use, cleaning and fit will be much better. my last few pairs have been from optilabs.

these are your eyes, don't go cheap when protecting them.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • LeicesterLad
    tim wand wrote:
    At this price I would imagine the prescription lense is clear and the outer is reacting to light conditons.

Also for the reason Alihisgreat stated , the lense at the back wouldnt react if there was some kind of light or UV block feature in the lense forward of this.

I ve only ever used one piece prescription light reactive lenses so I am not familiar with the insert set up.

I got my first pair free when I was in the Gulf with the Army, You could always sign up for Six months in Afghanistan might be worth it for £400 worth of sunglasses, Would nt do much for your training though L/L

Probably not that dissimilar to a night ride through Beaumont Leys or Glenfields.

:shock: Are you crazy? Mind you, i'd prefer it over a ride through St Matthews and St Peters...
  • LeicesterLad
    I think all of these glasses that have the prescription (px) insert will cost a fair bit more. From some research I've done previously, the size of the insert will mean some px's may not be suitable. Also the px insert will sit much closer to the eyes and may interfere with eye lashes and get greasy. they will also fog up much more easily and be a bugger to wipe clean due to being so close to the outer lens.

All in all, i would prefer to buy glasses with the px in the main lens. yes they cost more, but ease of use, cleaning and fit will be much better. my last few pairs have been from optilabs.

these are your eyes, don't go cheap when protecting them.

That would be ideal - But seriously, not possible with my perscription unless I want to part with very large chunks of cash. Its all to do with the shape of the lense apparently (the deep curve), My normal lenses are like double glazing.
  • andrewjoseph
    looking closer at the list, it is not clear of the price of the total. there is a price for px (£70), there is a price for tinted lens (£80). there is not a price for px + tinted lens. if they have to be added together then the price may be: £30 + £70 + £80 = £180 plus delivery.

does anyone else read it this way?

the frames and lenses I have just had from optilabs are photochromatic varifocal + frame + delivery = £212.

This is with the px in the main lens, no inserts. obviously when my px changes i then need new lenses, but i don't change my cycling px as often as my main glasses, only every two years or so, and then i just get new lenses in the old frames. my opticians will do this as part of my 2for1 deal.
    --
  • LeicesterLad
    looking closer at the list, it is not clear of the price of the total. there is a price for px (£70), there is a price for tinted lens (£80). there is not a price for px + tinted lens. if they have to be added together then the price may be: £30 + £70 + £80 = £180 plus delivery.

does anyone else read it this way?

the frames and lenses I have just had from optilabs are photochromatic varifocal + frame + delivery = £212.

This is with the px in the main lens, no inserts. obviously when my px changes i then need new lenses, but i don't change my cycling px as often as my main glasses, only every two years or so, and then i just get new lenses in the old frames. my opticians will do this as part of my 2for1 deal.

I worked out a pair with grey lenses and basic pprescription inserts would be about £56. Maybe i need to have another look then...
  • andrewjoseph

That would be ideal - But seriously, not possible with my perscription unless I want to part with very large chunks of cash. Its all to do with the shape of the lense apparently (the deep curve), My normal lenses are like double glazing.

I too have a very thick left lens with a prism, i couldn't get this made into inserts (nearly 10 years ago) but no problem with the main lens of my cycling glasses, either from optilabs or my opticians.

You may have more of a problem getting thick px lenses into a small insert. Places like optilabs will tell you from the start what can fit into what frames/inserts.

The main advantage i see with glasses with inserts, is that you can get frames that allow changing lenses, i.e. dark, clear, light enhancing, and still only need the one px insert.

For mtb'ing i get around that by using a light yellow tint for my varifocal lens. i have just received my photochromatic varifocal pair for road touring. Due to my px, I would have to be swapping glasses around just to read maps. The Kontrol glasses don't seem to offer this option.

i am concerned that you may find you have to pay more to get less than you expected.
    --
  • andrewjoseph
    my normal glasses with my riding glasses. Note, my normal glasses have a thinned down left lens.

glasses1.jpg

glasses2.jpg

glasses3.jpg
    --
  • LeicesterLad

I too have a very thick left lens with a prism, i couldn't get this made into inserts (nearly 10 years ago) but no problem with the main lens of my cycling glasses, either from optilabs or my opticians.

You may have more of a problem getting thick px lenses into a small insert. Places like optilabs will tell you from the start what can fit into what frames/inserts.

The main advantage i see with glasses with inserts, is that you can get frames that allow changing lenses, i.e. dark, clear, light enhancing, and still only need the one px insert.

For mtb'ing i get around that by using a light yellow tint for my varifocal lens. i have just received my photochromatic varifocal pair for road touring. Due to my px, I would have to be swapping glasses around just to read maps. The Kontrol glasses don't seem to offer this option.

i am concerned that you may find you have to pay more to get less than you expected.

Thanks for all the info, looks like maybe i should do some more research. The original website does state the compatibility of prescriptions and mine fits the bill apparently so was hoping to just get away with a cheap pair of sunglasses with the most basic inserts as money is tight, but maybe I should be looking for more?
  • tim_wand
    L/L I ve got a 40% trade in credit to use with Oakley on some damaged W wires they cant repair or replace (Too old stock)

Whilst I remain unemployed I dont think I ve got a cat in hells chance of the wife letting me realise it.

I ve got a bike listed on E bay for sale which ends tomorrow ( again the wife has twisted my arm up my back to get rid/ but I really dont want to sell, so I ve put a realistic starting price on it)

Cut a long story short, if ( I hope not ) the bike sells , I m going to man up and tell her I m having some of the money to get me Oakleys as a bit of compensation for my loss.

If however (as I hope) it doesnt sell , then no Oakleys for me! You can gladly have the Credit, to save me from temptation and a double boll*cking from Mrs W.
  • LeicesterLad
    tim wand wrote:
    L/L I ve got a 40% trade in credit to use with Oakley on some damaged W wires they cant repair or replace (Too old stock)

Whilst I remain unemployed I dont think I ve got a cat in hells chance of the wife letting me realise it.

I ve got a bike listed on E bay for sale which ends tomorrow ( again the wife has twisted my arm up my back to get rid/ but I really dont want to sell, so I ve put a realistic starting price on it)

Cut a long story short, if ( I hope not ) the bike sells , I m going to man up and tell her I m having some of the money to get me Oakleys as a bit of compensation for my loss.

If however (as I hope) it doesnt sell , then no Oakleys for me! You can gladly have the Credit, to save me from temptation and a double boll*cking from Mrs W.

Mate, that is very generous of you! I would love a pair of Oakleys but honestly, my budget for anything these days is pretty much nill, so I would be very reluctant to use it anyway! Thanks though :D
  • tim_wand
    edited April 2012
    L/L know the feeling mate, Where do you work , if its in an environment which requires you to use VDU monitors for any length of time, then go and see Occupational Health ( sorry if im being niave used to work public sector for a long time) , they have to give you money towards contact lenses,

Then get yourself 3 pairs (or one with 3 lense tints) of Bolle safety glasses off Flea bay, they are the dogs and a bargain.
  • andrewjoseph

Thanks for all the info, looks like maybe i should do some more research. The original website does state the compatibility of prescriptions and mine fits the bill apparently so was hoping to just get away with a cheap pair of sunglasses with the most basic inserts as money is tight, but maybe I should be looking for more?

my philosphy is to get the best i can afford and is comfortable. i do this with helmets, saddles, shoes etc. Helmets and glasses come high on the list, broken brain is not repairable, neither are eyes.

My son-in-law came mtb-ing with me a few weeks ago, fell off, broke his arm. that is being fixed. He also had 4 stitches in the middle of his forehead where the cheap riding glasses he had broke and dug in between his eyes. He has a small cut in the lower lid of one eye. I have no direct evidence for this, but I'm convinced the frameless lower of the lens cut him here, and it could have been much worse.

Now I will never put riding glasses to my face that don't have the lower lens edge protected by a frame.
    --
  • LeicesterLad
    tim wand wrote:
    L/L know the feeling mate, Where do you work , if its in an environment which requires you to use VDU monitors for any length of time, then go and see Occupational Health ( sorry if im being niave used to work public sector for a long time) , they have to give you money towards contact lenses,

Then get yourself 3 pairs (or one with 3 lense tints) of Bolle safety glasses off Flea bay, they are the dogs and a bargain.

I'm public sector so will dffinately look into that, i'm Diabetic also so get free eye tests, unfortunately not free lenses :(