Any Guildford commuters on here?

Stag on
Stag on Posts: 99
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Probably not, but I know a lot of you pass through on your way to the Surrey Hills

The local council are seeking views on proposed improvements to local cycle 'infrastructure' - if you can call a couple of shared use paths between urban expressways that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-17691403

The link takes you through to a survey monkey page.

Comments

• asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    I live in Guildford. I've seen signs of work on improving local cycle routes, but most of it's of the "widen and resuface" variety. For example, the picture at the bottom of this page was already a shared path - just slightly narrower and a lot more bumpy.

Like most towns, there's not much they can do to put in dedicated facilities in the built up areas, and I'm not even sure much more is needed; Guildford is fairly easy to cycle in.

I posted a comment to their survey suggesting they convert some footpaths to shared cycleways, which would make my route to work quite a lot safer. In theory, I should be cycling up the sliproad onto the A3 - not an attractive option.
  • Stag on
    Yes, I did notice that the 'new' shared use path had in fact been in use for several years :)

I disagree somewhat that it is an easy place to cycle, not from my part of town to the station it isnt!

That said, I do not think that there is much they can achieve realistically, given the budget, as the geography of the area and the A3/River Wey/Railway lines mean that there are only limited ways in and out.

There are also proposals on there for improvements to Woking and Redhill.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    which areas are iffy? bar the A3 which is motorway in all but name!

I've only cycled though once from Hospital to Downs Link while I waited for news.

didn't have a problem but then I think Hammersmith is fun....
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    I suppose the busy multi-lane roads are a bit nasty - Ladymead and some of the bigger junctions, and it would be nice to have a legit way to bypass the one-way system.
  • Stag on
    That's what I mean, anywhere north of the A3 heading into the town means negotiating Ladymead and getting over/under the A3, there are only limited options to get across, none of which I would call 'pleasant'. Many of the cycle lanes take you safely down long straight roads to deposit you at busy junctions with the always amusing 'end of route' signs.

I would prefer it if they found some way of providing safe passage over/under the A3/A25, perhaps putting a decent surface down on the River Wey towpath and making it continuous from the Woking Road to the Station would be the best option.