Commuting Tyres

fastandfurry
fastandfurry Posts: 138
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Anyone got any suggestions on good commuting tyres? I had some Gatorskins but the rear one punctured twice in quick succession and the sidewall has now split after about 500k. Very disappointing given that even my GP4000s have been giving me 2000 + k's. I see on Wiggle that although the feedback on the Gatorskins is in general good, that there's a significant minority who've had difficulties with these tyres.

I contacted Wiggle to complain but was told that it looked like the split had been caused by a flint or glass and was therefore not a warranty issue. Given that these tyres are apparently not adapted to riding near glass or flint (i.e. - anywhere near London where I live), has anyone got any suggestions for tougher tyres? I'm looking for 25 or 23c's.

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Schwalbe Durano Plus.

Put them on, forget about them. (forever, as far as I can tell).
    exercise.png
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TheStone wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Plus.

Put them on, forget about them. (forever, as far as I can tell).

I've done fine on the lighter Durano S. But otherwise plus 1 - I'd not lose any sleep over any Durano option.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've just changed the tyres on my single speed - so around 8000 miles. Have a Vittoria Zaffiro (wired) on the front: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYVIZAF/vittoria_zaffiro_wired_road_tyre £10 bargain. Rode with a Specialized Armadillo on the back: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-all-condition-item166050.html
    Commute is 16+ miles a day in London- in that time I had 1 puncture - a slow puncture on the armadillo. Have replaced both tyres with the same combo and hope to get the same use out of them.

Both tyres were heavily marked and cut, but reckon I could have carried on riding them.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    there's a significant minority who've had difficulties with these tyres.

There's a significant minority who expect too much from a pair of tyres.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Continental Gator (Skins or Hardshells) are worthy too.

BTW when is a significant minority a majority?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • andy_nD
    andy_nD Posts: 40
    I've been riding Maxis Re-Fuse (25C and 23C) on the SS commuter and winter/training bikes for the past 3 years. I have yet to puncture, and probably put a good 5000km on each set now, with only a very slight squaring apparent on the rear (I'm 85kg and commute with another ~20kg of luggage on board).

Previously tried Spesh Armadillo (scary in the wet, although I hear they might have fixed this now), Bonty Hardcase (wore quickly) and Vittoria Rubino (sidewalls slashed up)..
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've used all of the Durano options and rate them over gatorskins, armadillos and four seasons and krylions.

I used the Plus' on the fixed as they are basically slick marathon plus'; put them on, and forget about them for the next 10,000k. They are heavy, lack some road feel though and the hard compound isn't brilliant in the wet but they will last forever and you are less likely to puncture than any other slick tyre on the market.

I've currently got normal 25c Duranos on the commuter. 5,000k in and no issues. Gripper than the plus version and much lighter. Still better puncture protection than the other tyres I've mentioned.

I use Durano S tyres on the weekend bike and love them. Not race light, but not bad and with a decent level of protection.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Conti Gatorskins are great, but I found Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite's offered me the same level of puncture protection but rolled better.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've never heard any complaints about Schwalbe Marathon Plus, apart from how awkward they are to fit...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    I've never heard any complaints about Schwalbe Marathon Plus, apart from how awkward they are to fit...

You need to concentrate more then! They are heavy and lack feel and offer nothing much over Durano Plus. Their main advantage is that they let you abuse the tyre more than other tyres but, tbh, I'd rather have more punctures than resort to Marathon Plus. Not that more punctures would be very likely anyway!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Moved to commuter general - might get more responses.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Durano Plus. Brilliant commuting tyre. Used them for two years and prefer them to Gatorksins and Krylions. Also used them for training rides on good and cr@ppy roads and the Highclere sportive.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2012
    I'm using Gatorskins, a pig to get on (punctured a tube with tyre lever) but so far they've stood up well and no punctures. I took them down some muddy single track, that was a bad idea, no traction on mud or grass.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    ive got continental grand prix 4 seasons in 25 size on my scott and touch wood no punctures in a year and 1500 miles of riding. they are 100 grams a tyre lighter than gatorskin and have 2 layers of kevlar as opposed to gatorskins 1, well worth the extra £10 a tyre in my opinion.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I think the OP just had some bad luck with his tyres and debris.
    My gators managed about 6000 miles before they were getting a bit thin , checking the tyre for embedded debris and keeping an eye on the pressure seems to be very important for gators.
    After riding all winter on blizzard sports on the club bike i changed about a month ago to them on the commuter and i am happy enough with their performance when they are about £10 cheaper per tyre,certainly no flats ...yet.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • I think the OP just had some bad luck with his tyres and debris.
    My gators managed about 6000 miles before they were getting a bit thin , checking the tyre for embedded debris and keeping an eye on the pressure seems to be very important for gators.
    After riding all winter on blizzard sports on the club bike i changed about a month ago to them on the commuter and i am happy enough with their performance when they are about £10 cheaper per tyre,certainly no flats ...yet.

I'm starting to think you might be right from the feedback from yourself and others on this thread. The sidewall was slashed open - but this was maybe due to riding down a bridlepath. I had to boot it with an energy gel wrapper to get home!

Out of interest, was this the standard gatorskins or the hardshell ones?

It sounds like the Duranos might be the best option for future purchases, however I'll stick with these while they're on the bike.

Wiggle came through for me and sent me a replacement tyre as an act of goodwill after I expressed discontent. Legends!