new reba rl problems.

journey_man_pro
journey_man_pro Posts: 169
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
not sure if its a problem or not but my new reba's are quite stiff at the moment. im 16 stone and have 140psi in both positive and negative.

even if i push down as hard as possible i only seem to get about 60mm travel and setting sag is quite tough as they dont compress much when i sit in a riding position.

do they just need to bed in?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They do bed in.

Remove all the air from the +ve and see if the -ve pressure pulls the whole fork down to expected max travel.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Silly question, but you haven't got the lockout on have you? Sometimes if the forks have been upside down it takes a short while and a few compression cycles for the oil in the damper side to get back to where it should which makes it feel locked out. Failing that, as above, take the air out of both chambers and make sure it runs full travel.
  • ok, ill check that when i get home. lokout is not on no.

thanks
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Are the forks fully extended? I found with my SIDs that setting the positive and negative chambers the same caused the forks to sit down into their travel. I would:

Let all the negative air out, ensure that the forks extend to the full 120.
    Let some of the positive out (say down to 100PSI) and check you can get full travel.

Assuming both OK, then balance the fork pressures again. If one or other doesn't happen, you have an issue.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • right, had a play.

with no air in the positive and the negative about 145psi the forks compress with just an inch of stanchion showing, i can then compress them the rest of the way to get full travel.

with equal pressure in pos and neg '(145psi) i have 108mm of stanchion showing but the forks are quite hard to compress, most i can get out of them with my full weight on them is 60mm.

is this normal and they just need bedding in?

any help appreciated
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What model Reba? What travel are they set at, and what sag have you got?
  • 2012 reba rl, i assume 100mm travel, thats what they were sold as and i recieved 2 10mm thick plastic spaces.

sag about 10% at 140 psi.

is it safe to drop the pressure abit based on my 16st weight to get more sag?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, sag should be more 15-20 pc
  • set sag to 20% fork compresses fully now and feels plush however there is only 50psi in the pos and neg to achieve this sag.....
    cant be right?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it works...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forget recommended PSI, go on sag. The forks might bed in a bit and the sag will need checking.

Everything seems ok to me.
  • Ok. Will see how things go.

Thanks again.