six six one - riot / rage knee pads. anyone have them?

specialeyes
specialeyes Posts: 542
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Wondering what the levels of padding are like on both types and also comfort/all day riding ability. Riding is peak district, lee / cragg quarry, other local rocky routes and various trail centres. A mish mash really but mostly rocky terrain.

Comments

• Hacker60
    Hacker60 Posts: 73
    661 Rage - Front Inner Cup and padding and side padding

I had some for a couple of months worn about 6 times, quite bulky which at first I thought might become a problem
    but after wearing them it didn't bother me and just made me feel more secure, they are comfy but you need baggy shorts as your shorts will ride above the pads, they don't move as long as there well strapped and tight, they get a bit sweaty after a couple of hours, but you expect that.
    I have had one tumble in them, which saved a lot of skin, so I would def recommend them.

I would say that I am now looking for more Knee/Sheen pads, and after some Troy Lee KG5450 Knee/Shin Pads which I think are a better buy, and are slimmer, plus you get some shin protection, see link, plus same sort of price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59944
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Cheers! Food for thought, those troy lees do look good. No strapping though so sizing would have to be spot on. Any strapping on the rage pads or are they similar to the troys?
  • Hacker60
    Hacker60 Posts: 73
    Rage - Have Elastic Tube type sleeve with cutout behind the knee and wrap round straps
    above and below, I've got mediums and am average build 5'10", and could have slightly smaller
    size, but the small were too small, but the troy lee's are meant to be a very good tight fitting
    pad fully elastic, so there probably on the tight side. I just want a single Pad that has some shin protection.
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The rage looks pretty similar to the 661 kyle straits that I use (think it's a slightly pricier model), which are really good pads, I use them for downhill, though a bit bulky for XC. They get pretty warm, can get dragged down when they get waterlogged, and the straps can sometimes become uncomfortable. They're perfect for downhill though and provide plenty of protection. I'd say go for the riot, seems more like what you need - a lightweight XC type pad.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5