Best 180mm Fork?

Dan-Coll
Dan-Coll Posts: 40
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Im looking at upgrading the fork on my Devinci Frantik, at the minute is a Rockshox Domain however im looking at something with a better feel and has more options to get it tuned right. Also for DH/Freeride ive been told that coil is better rather then air is that correct?

I was just wondering everyones opinion on the best 180mm travel fork out there, cost isnt a problem as long as it is under £1000.

Cheers for any help, Dan

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Coil is more reliable to an extent, also heavier but this doesn't matter as much for freeride.

I'd personally go with the 180m 36 Fox Van FIT RLC.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Rock shox Lyrik Rc2DH only 170mm, Rock shox Totem Rc2DH 180mm, Marzocchi 55 Rc3 evo ti 170mm, those are what I would be looking at.

If your doing DH/FR I would defo go with coil.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Dan-Coll
    Thanks for the replies i have been looking at the Totem and the Fox i just cant decide between the two. What are the positives and negatives for each fork? I noticed the Fox seems to be more exspensive does this mean the technology inside is better or is it a case of paying for the Fox name?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Totem is much stiffer than the Fox 36.
    You could also fit a motion control damper in your Domain for about £70 if it's only the basic rebound only Domain. Takes about 2 minutes to fit.
  • totems are lush, domains are bomb proof and simple and fox 36s need servicing more at least i found that
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • Dan-Coll
    Yeah i have found the domains are good for soaking up big hits but struggle on small bumps one after another. Would the motion damper control help with that?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes. I have got Domains with Motion Control and they are excellent. They are absolutely solid & dead reliable.
  • Dan-Coll
    Do you have any idea where i can the damper from? I had a look on tf tuned and couldnt see it on there.