WIP carrera vulcan ss

sloppycowpat
sloppycowpat Posts: 349
edited April 2012 in Your mountain bikes
So my ratty old steel frame is horrible and i have a vulcan frame in my room so im going to strip and paint it and improve it so to start I present the frame

7071136525_426f12c086_c.jpg

after some time with a pen knife and sand paper

6925086724_5e76556ef4_c.jpg

then after i used some paint stripper

7071165545_ebb9f8dd33_c.jpg

just a bit of stubborn paint in the welds and drop outs now :D

7071176889_538e4cb76f_c.jpg

7071175051_da6abb6477_c.jpg
worst moment ever...
buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'm interested! I've got a Carrera vulcan half built at the moment and trying to decide between SS or 8 speed for the drive train. If I go singlespeed I'll probably use A DMR kit. What parts do you have in mind/already have? And what colour?!
  • stuff so far

16" carrera vulcan frame 07/08 i think
    kore 70mm stem
    mid rise husslefelt bars
    x-tasy seat post
    carrera seat- needs upgrading
    gxp fire x cranks and bb
    bike-hut x pedals
    kmc cool chain
    on one steel forks
    board-man hubs on mavic xc221 'i think' rims
    gusset ss kit
    probs use a 32 13 gear ratio and change it to 16/18 if i use it off road
    either hayes sole brakes or tecktro I0 mechanical with avid levers- may upgrade to hayes 9's if i can be bothered to take my old ones apart and replace the seals

don't know about colour yet, black forks and maybe white, purple, green or yellow frame depends when i buy the paint and what i fancy

need to get a headset, grips, saddle and maybe a 90mm odd stem if its a bit cramped

want a charge spoon saddle, cane creek or similar headset and superstar grips as funds allow, this driving lessons lark is expensive!! :(

If you go for ss the gusset kit is soooo much better than the dmr one
    worst moment ever...
  • a few more pictures

the doner bike

6925279230_1a96dbe2d0_c.jpg

cranks and nice rusty chain :oops:

6925281120_d0b463cd40_c.jpg

the ss kit

6925282966_293654b2ab_c.jpg

bars/stem

6925284976_840b5b13d0_c.jpg

wheels i just built with out a stand seem well dished and are true so yay v brakes and an old frame do work :D

6925286922_1e6e43fd7d_c.jpg

the forks

7071368269_695eb644d6_c.jpg
    worst moment ever...
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    How did you decide on gear ratios? Gusset kit looks quite good, more adjustability on the tensioner but how do you correct the chain line? The spacers are the same size - the DMR kit gives you different sizes. I'm using:

Tektro IO brakes
    Suntour XCM fork (from new bike)
    Stock handlebars/stem/seatpost/wheels
    Modified cranks/chainrings - guessing you need a SS specific chainring or will any do?
    Stock BB and headset
    An undecided SS kit and chain
    And Shimano clipless pedals - can't remember model

Its going to be more of a cycling to the shops sort of bike but as I upgrade my current bike, the old parts will go onto it.
  • chain line is adjusted by the metal spacers on the rear hub just move the sprocket along until it is nice and straight

gear ratios were trial and error really 32/16 or 2/1 is a very common starting ground, but i've been ssing for a couple of years now so was spinning out when i commute and found 32/13 to be fine for road hills and about 18mph cruise speed

used the 32/18 when i was in the peak district for obvious reasons :lol:

as far as chain rings go, so long as the chain line is good and the chain is nice and taught the ring does not really matter it works fine with a standard geared chain ring but i have to admit that a proper ss ring is better and look nicer
    worst moment ever...
  • oh with the gusset kit for middle ring the small spacer is on the spoke side (left of the sprocket) or the big ring the bigger spacer is on the left

so (BS) (sp) (ls) for outer ring

(ls) (sp) (BS) for middle ring

BS= big spacer
    ls= little spacer
    sp= sprocket
    worst moment ever...
  • sod it this sanding lark takes sooo long im getting it powder coated white and black forks I think, £40 quote seems reasonable
    worst moment ever...