learn to build

Willock
Willock Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
im getting back in to biking but i have no tech knowledge when it come to bike but i would like to know how to fit breaks, gears and so on and also general maintenance when it comes to disc breaks (mech and hydro) so i can just build on my current bike instead of buying a new one every time i want to change something so i just wanted to know if anyone knows of any books or anything i can use to teach my self these things

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Parktools website has how to do everything
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Willock
    is this also a good way of learning which parts i should change and how to find a good part for my needs
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No for that you ride the bike, work out what can be improved and take it from there. It tells you how to do things.
    TBH most (decent) bikes are more capable than the riders.
    Plenty of know it alls on here who can tell you how to improve your bike. And plenty of differing opinions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Willock wrote:
    is this also a good way of learning which parts i should change and how to find a good part for my needs

As CD says ride it then when parts need replacing, research, ask advice on what you require, park tools is a fantastic site for information on how to do the maintenance and you can always ask on here.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Willock
    thanks for the help
  • Willock
    i have been looking at that book think worth a second hand buy
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    That's a good book. Everything is drawn out nicely and explained well. Go for it
    Papa? Nicole