Carrera Kraken 2010 tyre recommendation?

muran
muran Posts: 105
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I bought my Carrera Kraken 2010 second hand and it still has the original Continental Speed King tyres both front and back.

The rear is definitely ready for replacing and as I am only replacing that one I would like something not too dear that's about the same quality as originally fitted to match the front.

Any recommendations please on which tyres to get and where to buy from?

I bought second hand for a reason - I'm on a budget and I don't do any serious riding at the moment. Mainly trail riding and a little road use.

Thanks.

Comments

• jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    i had these and used em for abit of everything http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-F ... 500wt_1287 i had the folding ones thou. i found them good enough for me when i just got started in mountain biking.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maxxis Ignitor. Folding if you can afford them, but the wired ones are pretty decent too.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • muran
    Thanks, will check them over.

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant - what's the difference between folding and wired and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Folding is lighter, and generally therefore the better versions of any specific tyre.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    This would be a good choice - double defense will stay off the punctures, and the folding bead keeps the weight down. You could also replace them with another continental, a mountain king 2 is a great tyre.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • muran
    Thanks for the info. Any preferred / recommended places to buy from that offer best value?

Edit: Just had a browse round and http://www.tredz.co.uk seems to be the best. Will probably go for a wired tyre as with my style and frequency of riding I doubt I would notice any benefit from the folding type.
  • muran
    £9.99 for the Mountain King from Chain Reaction - are these a good bet as these are what I'm leaning towards taking into account what has been said here and for the cost saving?

Or am I better going with the Continental Mountain King MkII from Tredz ?

Or for that little extra there is the Maxxis Ignitor XC Wire Tyre from Chain Reaction as mentioned earlier?

Minefield!

Thanks
  • benpinnick
    The Mountain King 2 is a much better than the MK1. Worth the extra. Ive PM'ed you about an alternative option too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Evans are selling folding 2.25 60a (the good compound) Crossmarks for £20. I just fitted a pair to a mates old Kracken. Never really tried Speed Kings but if you find the Crossmarks grippier then you can always stick on the front, same with any other tyre you may choose. I do know the Crossmarks are fast but still reasonably grippy.
  • muran
    Thanks for the options / suggestions :-)