3 rings on a pitch pro 2011

Jashim
Jashim Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hello all. I recently bought a pitch pro 2011 model and love it down hill and even up. My problem is I ride with a group of friends and most of our rides involve some roads before we hit the hills. with the 2 rings (24/36) on the pro I just can't keep up with the group on the road. I like the simplicity of the 2 ruing set up and do not want the expense of going2x10 so my question is this - can I simply add a big ring in place of the bash guard and will the chain guide still work? I rarely if ever use the small cog (24) so could I swap to a 36/42 set up and keep the bash ring? As you can tell I'm not very up to date with gearing/ratios etc so all help gratefully received. Here is the bike I have >> http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBC ... spid=52805 it is "more bike than I need" as I generally ride around the Southdowns way but am planning to head to Wales/grizedale for some more adventurous riding.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Can you change the gearing on the cassette to give you a higher ratio?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Jashim
    I hadn't thought of that - is that possible?? The cassette is Shimano HG30, 9-speed, 11-34t.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    11 is the smallest they come in I think so your stumped, changing the front will either mean adding a third ring instead of the bash and losing the chain device or replacing your 36 with a bigger ring but your bash probably won't be big enough to cover the bigger chain ring.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Jashim
    Hmm - so the chain device won't work on a 3rd ring as it is not wide enough? I'm not so fussed about the bash guard but I like the security of the chain guide.
  • Jashim
    Thanks Mrmonkfinger - is that a guide or a bash guard though?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's more a bash, only guide part is bottom drop-offs
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I wouldn't worry if you are happy with the setup off road (as this is what it's primary use is). Just spin on the roads and get fitter with the massively higher cadence. It's very good for you you know :)

I only have a 34 on the front and spin on the long peddle down the dirt dusty paths to our riding haunts but would hate to have my large ring on just to keep up :)
  • Jashim
    I know what you mean milfredo but as I ride with the same group every week and all bar one are on hard tails with big rings - and our 25 mile ride can contain 10 miles of tarmac! - spinning becomes a real pain. As I said, I probably bought the wrong bike in the first place but I just loved it downhill.
  • Chunkers1980
    If you're running on the 11t on the rear for great periods you'd be better going for a triple up front. It helps load sharing so you get more life out of the cassette...
  • Jashim
    Yep - I find myself in Highest gear a lot of the time, even off road downhill I could do with a bigger gear. I rarely use the lowest cog at front so was wondering if possible to swap my chainrings from 24/36 to a 32/44??
  • Chunkers1980
    I think you'd be better off just getting a triple. 2 large rings doesn't off you much savings anywhere, as you still need the shifters, then you may as well have the granny for any time you need it.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Buying new bigger rings won't be trivial, the bash will be too small making it pretty redundant, chain won't be long enough so you'll need a new one, which may well spiral to new cassette.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pedalling at 100 rpm (quick, but not OTT) in 36/11 will mean you'll be doing 30mph.

http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

Are you sure you need higher gears? How much of your riding is at over 30mph?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Chunkers1980
    I see what you're saying, but being in 36/11 a lot of the time causes wear issues. You might not like doing such high rpm but prefer to stomp hard but at a slower rate.
  • Jashim
    Very little! all I know is I can;t keep up with my mates on the roads - and I am just as fit. On my previous hardtail I was usually at the front. The pitch is not very heavy, I lock out the back, have quite a lot of preload on the fork, I have changed to lighter tyres so it must be the gears - mustn't it? And yes I prefer to push a harder gear than run like Roadrunner.
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    Check your tyre pressures as well. I run my tyres at a higher PSI (usually 50ish) when riding to the trails, then drop them down when I get there.