Stem too short?

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I recently had a Commencal Meta 55 built up using parts from my Stumpy FSR Elite (09).

Only the wheels, forks and drivetrain were stock, the rest (bars/brakes/stem/seatpost/saddle etc) were all 'after market'

Notably, I ran a 70mm stem, and it was fine.

The Meta has a shorter cockpit, but doesn't feel uncomfortable.

I know the bike itself will feel different to the Stumpy, but the front end feels very 'skittish' and makes me feel less confident (or competent!).

Is the short stem, coupled with my weight being further forward the likely cause?

I'll happily get a new stem but want to get it right - would 90mm be OK do you think?

BTW if it helps I'm 5'11" and 13.5 stones.

Thanks in advance
BJB

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Could do, but how are your forks set up, have you reset sag, rebound to suit the new frame?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • BigJimmyB
    Yes, all done.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Personally, I don't think shorter stems make the front end feel skittish. More direct maybe but not nervous.

In terms of setup, all you should be doing with your hands is steering - there shouldn't be any weight on them. Your weight should be mostly through your feet.
  • 1mancity2
    So your running a 70mm stem atm?

Putting a longer stem on will move your weight more over the front, Is the stem 0 degree? can you add spacers to lift the stem? higher rise bars? all these will shift your weight back if you feel too over the front.

Can you rotate your bars back a bit and see it that helps?
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    It could possibly be a different headtube angle and/or seattube angle of the new frame causing it to feel different and uncomfortable to what you are used to.

Here:

geo-ams_58.gif

Angle 'C' is the seat tube angle and angle 'D' is the headtube angle.
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks for replies.

The geometry is definitely different.

All I can say about the difference in feeling is that I feel like the front end is about to go from under me.

I'm not certain it's a weight distribution thing, but I can't rule it out. I've ony had 4 or 5 rides on it, so perhaps it's just a case of getting used to it.

Any more thoughts very welcome.
    Ta
    BJB
  • 1mancity2
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Thanks for replies.

The geometry is definitely different.

All I can say about the difference in feeling is that I feel like the front end is about to go from under me.I'm not certain it's a weight distribution thing, but I can't rule it out. I've ony had 4 or 5 rides on it, so perhaps it's just a case of getting used to it.

Any more thoughts very welcome.
    Ta
    BJB

If it feels like its tucking under, try different rebound settings, usually its too slow if its tucking.
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks 1mc2, I'll give it a shot.