Setting preload RS Recon

SWEETY-4x4
SWEETY-4x4 Posts: 43
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Just got a new bike with RS recon silver TK forks & was wondering how you set the preload on them ? I've done it in the past on my son's air forks where so much compression = so much PSI you had to put in but have never done this on coil fork & a bit stuck
1991 Kona Cinder Cone in Cinder Gold
www.borders4x4club.co.uk

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If is a coil fork there should be an adjuster on top of the left leg. Is only for small changes though, you may have to swap the whole spring out.
  • Cheers Supersonic, Am I right in thinking I stand up on the pedals with my norm riding kit on & adjust the preload so that only 25% of the forks compress in my case as there 100mm travel so only 25mm of the fork compresses in ? The spring should be fine as I'm only 10 stone
    www.borders4x4club.co.uk
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's about it, then you can fine tune if you need to. Stand up, but put a bit of weight on the front, as if you were about to ride a bumpy section.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thats great thanks guy's :D might give the adjuster 1 extra turn once they are set so the forks are just a tad firmer as i've never had sus forks before until I get used to them them back the preload off to wear it should be
    www.borders4x4club.co.uk