10 speed rings

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm going to swap out my 3x10 to a 2x10 and at the same time change (what was) the middle ring from 32t to 36t. I believe 10sp chains are the same size internally as 9sp so would I be OK to use a 9sp ring or do I need to get a 10sp specific one ?

Thanks

Jim
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're buying new then I'd recommend you get the correct spd on the rings - so go for 10 speed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Internally they're the same, externally 10 speed chains are thinner. If you were running 1x at the front then it wouldn't make any difference what chainring you use (except it's better to use a 'single' unramped chainring in this case).

2x10, you might have issues but the main difference I think is the gap between them when shifting up and down. Though possibly the thickness of the chainring is key there. It may work, and think some chainrings are just compatible between 9 and 10 speed (sometimes 8 as well). At least for SRAM & KMC kit. Shimano like to make things incompatible so not sure there.

Rear cogs are another matter. They are definitely sized for the width of the chain. 10 speed chains will work on 9 speed cogs (tooth size is fine), but 9 speed chains not on 10 speed cogs as gaps are too small for the width of the chain.

Ideal is to match everything though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    deadkenny wrote:
    except it's better to use a 'single' unramped chainring in this case
    As the OP is going 2x10 and still needs to lift the chain from the small ring, that is exactly what he SHOULD NOT do!

Otherwsie good advice, there is no difference between an 9 and 20 speed ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Thanks for the advice guys, as it turns out trying to find a 10speed 36t that is sensibly priced is proving trickier than expected so may have to live with the 32t for the minute :(

Cheers

Jim
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just get a '9sp' 36T as indicated.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    deadkenny wrote:
    except it's better to use a 'single' unramped chainring in this case
    As the OP is going 2x10 and still needs to lift the chain from the small ring, that is exactly what he SHOULD NOT do!
    Sorry, wasn't clear, I meant "in this case" as in the 1x10 example I was giving.