Headset help

thejerv
thejerv Posts: 90
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I mistakenly said I'd replace the headset on the father in laws bike. It's a 2005 Claud Butler Rock, (personally I'd skip it!). I stripped it down and the existing headset was none existent, it has disintergrated into a pile of rust. Anyway I ordered a new headset and attempted to fit it last night, with no joy. Its an intergrated headset and the new bearings I have are 41mm O.D. On close inspection of the frame, the cups are 40mm, I have searched everywhere on the net for a headset of this size, with no avail. It's an standard 1 1/8" steerer btw, can anybody help?
Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you sure it's an integrated - according to this the 2012 has a quill stem. Can't see the 2005 having anything fancier.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Claud-Butler-Ro ... =Froogle02
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thejerv
    I'm sure it's intergrated as it has cups already pressed into the frame which finish flush with the top and bottom of the headtube.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like some kind of semi-integrated to me - does the cup have any kind of lip that sits proud of the frame (even if its only 1mm or so? 40 is a common size for ZS semis (41 being common for integrals). you should be able to get some ZS Semi integrated bearings to fit I would think, even if it is integral.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • thejerv
    Cheers folks