LBL

On_What
On_What Posts: 516
edited April 2012 in Pro race
Alright folks, I am heading over to Belgium to watch Liege- Bastogne-Liege this year and hope to ride some of the course as well! I doubt we will ride the entire course but hope to take in the first part and the area around Bastogne.

In terms of viewing are there any standout places to view?

We're heaidng over on the Friday and back Monday with a spare seat if anyone is keen? No weirdos though :lol:

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    On_What wrote:
    We're heaidng over on the Friday and back Monday with a spare seat if anyone is keen? No weirdos though :lol:

Picky.
  • On_What
    Only because I wouldn't want to be out-weirded by AN Other :wink:

I assume the climbs are going to be the best viewpoints?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206

Ah thats my thread from last year. We eventually decided on the Cote de Saint-Nicolas, which was excellent. There was a marquee that had been set up outside a big housing block, with beer and barbeque and the atmosphere was amazing. We were right on the first bend of the S-bend that is not far from the summit, it was a really good spot to watch, I've got an amazing picture of Gilbert being followed by the two Schlecks. They came past really fast still though it was a bit shocking. Here's our spot, the marquee was a bit further down the hill.

It was a bit difficult to find at first, we got a bus to not far away and then had to walk round asking people if they knew where it was. If in doubt follow the fencing.

Also we watched the start in the centre of Liege which is great, all the bikes out front of the buses, and then had time for some beer and stuff before going to the climb. Then watched the last few kms on someones tv through their front window.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    I've got an amazing picture of Gilbert being followed by the two Schlecks.

Posted anywhere? Can we see it?
  • On_What
    Excellent stuff, thanks chaps!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:
    I've got an amazing picture of Gilbert being followed by the two Schlecks.

Posted anywhere? Can we see it?

No, and yes, when i post it somewhere. Its actually on my facebook account but i never got rround to posting any pics on here, even though i had plans to make a thread with them on, it was always like 'yeah ill do it soon'. I'll do it tonight. I suppose i could post it from my facebook account then it would have to save me hosting it on flickr or photobucket. Is facebook pic posting possible?
  • MrTapir wrote:
    Is facebook pic posting possible?

No idea how link to an individual photo, but you can do so with an album. There is a link at the bottom of the page. Here's mine from this year's Roubaix...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 587130ee44
  • rick_chasey
    Your roubaix velodrome cover photo is better than the new one, though I'd like to know how you took that picture?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:
    Is facebook pic posting possible?

No idea how link to an individual photo, but you can do so with an album. There is a link at the bottom of the page. Here's mine from this year's Roubaix...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 587130ee44

Excellent stuff, ill do that later on then, ive set my alarm.
  • Your roubaix velodrome cover photo is better than the new one, though I'd like to know how you took that picture?

Not sure which one you mean?
  • rick_chasey
    Your roubaix velodrome cover photo is better than the new one, though I'd like to know how you took that picture?

Not sure which one you mean?

Your facebook banner photo ;) the one which is taken probably 2inches away from your front wheel axle.
  • Your facebook banner photo ;) the one which is taken probably 2inches away from your front wheel axle.

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry, that photo isn't from Roubaix, it was taken in Spain a few years ago. Not sure I want to give away how I took it...

:D
  • MrTapir
  • MrTapir wrote:

Cool. Like!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:

Cool. Like!

I like your Roubaix ones, you get much more sense of the cobbles and the edge of the road that they're riding on, I think i would prefer the cobbles, i can see why they get so many punctures.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    I like your Roubaix ones, you get much more sense of the cobbles and the edge of the road that they're riding on, I think i would prefer the cobbles, i can see why they get so many punctures.

Cheers, but I think my videos are better though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thegreaseds ... sults_main

And in particular, this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTa75Y9xsjY

Think you get a real sense of speed, of just how fast they are going. And this section was into a headwind! You can just see Hincapie chasing back after a puncture(?) and also Greipel behind one of the motorbikes.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Cool. Like!

Oh and also, I like the one of yours where everyone is looking through someone's window at the TV! :D
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Cool. Like!

Oh and also, I like the one of yours where everyone is looking through someone's window at the TV! :D

Yeah that was brilliant, just the fact it was happening, and massive cheer when Phil one. There was loads of community spirit around that area, like the marquee thing seemed to be organised by the people that lived in the tower block, anyone could join in. And people had opened their garages up and put a tv for others to watch and were selling beer etc
  • On_What
    Ended up riding the 270km sportive the day before the pro race! The weather was something to behold, never been so cold in all my life!

Cracking to see the start and get close to the riders and their kit. It is a great town and the people are really friendly.

Had a long chat to a Londoner who posts on Bikeradar, so Hi to you!!

Dave
  • On_What wrote:
    Ended up riding the 270km sportive the day before the pro race! The weather was something to behold, never been so cold in all my life!

Cracking to see the start and get close to the riders and their kit. It is a great town and the people are really friendly.

Had a long chat to a Londoner who posts on Bikeradar, so Hi to you!!

Dave

Photos!
  • rick_chasey
    Chapeau. That's a f*cking long way to ride, and not an easy route either.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Big ride, nice work.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • On_What
    There was a descent for about 4km at around 190km left, it was quite long and my hands were so cold by the end I couldn't operate the brakes or gears!

That'll teach me to not wear my full finger gloves. I have never known cold like that!
  • On_What
    Better late than never I guess, here's a selection of shoddy Iphone pictures for you to pick over.

IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg