samsbike Posts: 942
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

Has anyone used these and got any comments:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fiber- ... 19cfa8cc93

cheers

sam

Comments

• I got 2 almost identical to that and they are very light, and look great.

End of the day, it's a bottle cage and it does the job!

Here's them on the bike:

2011-06-24115925.jpg
  • samsbike
    Thanks, I was a bit concerned they would not work, but as long as they hold a bottle securely that's what matters!
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    They definitely work and it hella cheap!

I bough a pair of Planet X ones (22 grams each) for €37 about a week ago.

BOPXPC-BK-GLO_P1.jpg
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Rubbish , IMO :D I had these and others and the bottom bit broke on all of them allowing the bottle to fall through. I use allu ones now, much more robust for our roads.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Rubbish , IMO :D I had these and others and the bottom bit broke on all of them allowing the bottle to fall through. I use allu ones now, much more robust for our roads.

+1 on this
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    And plus another. The carbon is too thick on mine and squashes the bottles making the bottle harder to put in - as a result, you can over force it and in my case one of the heels broke (though it is now my relatively unused seatpost cage and a bit of araldite has kept it intact for months).

Also, the lacquer is very feeble resulting in the cage scratching the bottle and the bottle then scratching the cage more.

For such a simple thing, the Chinese really know how to make a mess of it! If OllyRidesFirst's cages are OK, I'd try to get exactly the same ones.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    For my two-pennyworth, I bought a couple of carbon (or "carbon", I dunno) cages off eBay and they're fine. Look purty too. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Carbon? Alu? I just have plastic Zefal cages on my bikes for less than a fiver each. So far they seem to do the job (18 months on the job), seem strong, and look decent enough.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    samsbike wrote:
    Hi

Has anyone used these and got any comments:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fiber- ... 19cfa8cc93

cheers

sam

I have a couple on my winter bike (bought them from China with my frame so they were about £5 each). They are the exact same ones by the looks of it - check out Carbonzone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Full-carbon-bike-water-bottle-cages-2pcs-/160616521399?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25657d9eb7#ht_697wt_905

My advice - dont bother. They dont hold my Camelback podium bottles very securely and i actually had a bottle come out on a descent. I have Arundel Mandible cages on my summer bike and while much dearer - are a totally different league.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Arundel Mandible - "Our newest cage couldn't be just another fanciful design with a bunch of logos and a crazy, nonsensical name created for the sole purpose of adding another sku to the catalog"

If I was spending about £40 on a bottle cage I would want the biggest labels possible, just to make sure everyone knew what I had!!!!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Whatever - you trolling prat!!
  • Sgt_Pepper
    Sgt_Pepper Posts: 172
    Carbon? Alu? I just have plastic Zefal cages on my bikes for less than a fiver each. So far they seem to do the job (18 months on the job), seem strong, and look decent enough.

Me too, "Zefal Spring" in white. Look great, work a treat and only £4.99 each :-)
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Have had the planet X ones since Xmas, done 1500 miles and zero problems, still look like new.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    check out Karbona - I have two of theirs, they hold the bottle very securely
    http://www.karbona.com/pro/b-3-1-18-1.jpg
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    If you are buying the one exactly as shown in the photo BEWARE!. I bought one of these and you will notice that the bottle is gripped on the side only as there is no support tab for the bottom of the bottle. Last year on a sportive I had a nasty fall where the bottle slipped when I was returning it to the cage. It looks the part but I always had hastle replacing my bottle after use.
  • both my pic and the eBay pic have tabs at the bottom for the bottle to sit on. Also have the slightly rounded bit at the top for the bottle lip (as standard).

I have had mine just over a year now and have had no problems getting the bottles in and out (Camelback) and haven't had one come out yet (or even move).....
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Whatever - you trolling prat!!

a little bit harsh, do you not think? :shock:

I merely made an observation regarding the description of a product that you had suggested, it was not aimed at you in person.
    However, the OP had asked about a £5/10 bottle cage and you have suggested a £40 bottle cage. Do you not think that is a bit excessive considering that this is in the Road Beginners section? Surely there are more suitable bottle cages nearer to the £5/10 that the product will sell for?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Surely, surely, surely...no-one buys carbon bottle cages because they work better???!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    check out Karbona - I have two of theirs, they hold the bottle very securely
    http://www.karbona.com/pro/b-3-1-18-1.jpg
    They are the heavy brother of the Planet X ones so should be allright if you ask me. What did they cost you?
  • samsbike
    Thanks all I think I will stick to the zefal or top peak ones
  • GoldenBear
    GoldenBear Posts: 120
    You can't beat Elite Race bottle cages, look brill, loads of colours to match you bike, cheap. Oh, they hold the bottle really well too! The only time I lost a bottle in a race I was using carbon cages. I swapped back to the elite straight after.