which bike

Willock
Willock Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi im just getting back in to the world of biking and im looking to replace my old MTB. im stuck for choice and i know nothing of components so i was hoping i could get some suggestions on here.

i will be using the bike for getting to work and back but i am also a camper that enjoys going to the lakes and doing light trails. i have found two bikes within my price range but as i have a lack of knowledge i do not know which to go for either the Trek 3500 disc (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo ... 500_disc/#) or the Carrera Vengeance
(http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499), The pedals and seat will be replaced with the ones off my current bike so they do not matter, i think i have made the right choice to have mechanical discs as i have had hydraulic and could not deal with the maintenance mainly due to lack of knowledge and bike shops in my area that will work on them.

cheers for any help you can offer

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which can you try out, or at least sit on?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Willock
    more likely to be able to try the carrera or the rock rider as they are close to home shops, i would prefer disc breaks as my previous B1 stonebumble had hydros and i loved them but cannot keep up with the maintenance and the frame is a good few inches to small now. would these bikes cope with forest riding and gravel tracks
  • Willock
    iv also still got the Manitou Stance Static 100mm forks off my old which can be used if needs be
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are three threads really necessary?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Willock
    well i tried to delete one but there is no option to and yes 2 were needed as i didnt no which i would get responses to as i in the buying help one there have been no responses but in the this one there has so yeah i apollogise for the extra post