Trek 3500 disc (2012) or Carrera Vengeance (2011-2012)

Willock
Willock Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi im just getting back in to the world of biking and im looking to replace my old MTB. im stuck for choice and i know nothing of components so i was hoping i could get some suggestions on here.

i will be using the bike for getting to work and back but i am also a camper that enjoys going to the lakes and doing light trails. i have found two bikes within my price range but as i have a lack of knowledge i do not know which to go for either the Trek 3500 disc (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo ... 500_disc/#) or the Carrera Vengeance
(http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499), The pedals and seat will be replaced with the ones off my current bike so they do not matter, i think i have made the right choice to have mechanical discs as i have had hydraulic and could not deal with the maintenance mainly due to lack of knowledge and bike shops in my area that will work on them.

cheers for any help you can offer

Comments

• Well i can't get comfortable on my Vengeance, but thats down to me and my choice of frame size, rather thanthe fault of the bike.

Halfords/Carrera buying power means you'll probably get better quality components on the Carrera - spec may have changed but i have Shimano BR-M445 disc brakes front and rear, Shimano Alivio rear deraileur and Shimano Altus front. Nothing earth shattering there maybe but for a budget bike the Alivio deraileur and disc brakes are a bonus. The Fox Dart 1 fork is nothign to write home about but it works OK for a commuter role.

Wait for the offers in Halfords, and use Quidco cashback too to get the price even lower - i think mine cost me about £220-230 15-16 months ago.

Halfords build quality can be hit n miss - try to order and collect mid week to avoid the weekend rush and part time weekend staff.
  • Willock
    Willock Posts: 41
    cheers the specs sound a bit different but seems to be the right choice