Things you dont need to hear !

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited April 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Well 1st night back in work after 11 off, and within an hr was told im "in focus" to be considered for redundancy, consultation tbc, if we have any suggestions as to minimize the risk (how to save money in other words), etc etc please talk to our line managers/ area managers bla,bla,bla the rest is/was just a blur tbh ! :shock: :( :evil: :evil: .....

Not the sort of news i wanted to be told so soon, but somert thats always been a niggle in our minds for 2 yrs or so, still not nice to be told tho eh ! But on the other hand i did go and order this little darling yesterday

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/zen-x
which should be in my possesion by friday evening ! :)

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    that is a fantastic looking bike, nice.

good time to be splashing out too.
  • castlelad

Is this a sarcy comment , re "good time to be splashing out" ? It's my early xmas present to myself, i was going cancel but then i thought , boll0x have it anyway, as way of "pain relief ",
  • sheepsteeth
    castlelad wrote:

Is this a sarcy comment ,

yes.
  • sheepsteeth
    :D

it is bad news to hear about the pending redundancy, hope it turns out ok.

i look forward t pics of the bike, i cant believe how good it looks.
  • castlelad
    fingers crossed !
    as for the bike, i've actually really looked around this time and this is the only ht that i wanted, and i think im getting a tidy bike for my money, my lbs has the forks at £389 ish alone.....but it always personal choice.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    great news re: bike, crap re job. Where do you work?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    sorry to hear that mate, i was in a similar position last year and it sucks!!

still, nice bike though :D
  • Tis a thing of beauty. White saddle looks v cool, really sets it off. just put one on my ride as it happens.

Sympthatise with the job situation, been through it twice myself in the past 18 months, luckily was ok both times tho.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I'm very impressed with the aesthetics of the current batch of saracens, tidy looking beast that is. Tough draw at work, at least it's just being mentioned at the moment and it gives you a heads up to look elsewhere, hope whatever happens it works out well enough to keep you in hookers and blow
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    On the Topic of 'Things you don’t need to hear' got back from a late night ride last night and my neighbour was making moose mating calls with someone....
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gazlar wrote:
    I'm very impressed with the aesthetics of the current batch of saracens, tidy looking beast that is. Tough draw at work, at least it's just being mentioned at the moment and it gives you a heads up to look elsewhere, hope whatever happens it works out well enough to keep you in hookers and blow
    Yeah, with modern banking methods you can't even mug pensioners on pension day
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Abra wrote:
    On the Topic of 'Things you don’t need to hear' got back from a late night ride last night and my neighbour was making moose mating calls with my wife.
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Redundancy after 8 years at my last place was the best thing that happened to me; 6 months off, tidy pay out and then got a new job that payed a lot more... To top it off I also bought myself a new bike.

Things may not be as bad as they seem... or it could turn to dog-shite and you live in a box.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    This shit news in the Redundancy, nice bike though.

I've been really impressed with my sektors on the ragley, I went for the updated xfirm coil from TFTuned and fitted it myself, it's very easy to change.
  • Abra
    cooldad wrote:
    Abra wrote:
    On the Topic of 'Things you don’t need to hear' got back from a late night ride last night and my neighbour was making moose mating calls with my wife.
    FTFY

I guess someone has to 'service' her... im not going to complain. :lol:
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Echo the above, like the bike lots, sucks about the job.

Another thing you don't need to hear: Your brother in laws (to be) girlfriend trying to tell you about the consistency of his turds because he's been ill recently. In detail. :roll:
  • castlelad
    cheers for the comments.
    i work for a company called AMEY, we are main contractors for the highways agency in the midlands, there is a depot in telford too, it is/could affect up to 100 employees but after that i pretty much wasn't interested in what they told me .Been there for 15 yrs so at least we should get enough for nice little holiday atleast , plus as my mrs is very well employed too so things should be ok in the short term, not going look to far ahead tho as im not the type to scrounge from the government, there's enough of them sorts as it is,

as for the bike it was a planned purchase before my sh1it3 news so i still NEED it, i think its nice and my lbs did a good job of "selling it" to me, just been informed i can pick it up after 2pm tomorrow :P and there will be pics asap, complete with dust caps, reflectors, and cassette frisby thing still attached !! oh and im not really impressed with the white saddle but i'll see how it suits my ar$e first,
    as for "moose noises, where do you live, sounds like my kind of thing ?
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Abra wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Abra wrote:
    castlelad wrote:

Thought he lived next door to you :)
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    sorry to hear of your news

just over two years ago our depot was threatened with redudancies and it didnt look too good, same old bollox, come up with some cost savings etc....

i had it in my mind to wait until i was actually told i was one of the affected by the announcement, then make plans, it tends to be a smokescreen for some companys, wanting people to jump before being pushed, it saves them thousands in redundancy

things turn out better in the end, a few voluntary redundancies and now work has picked up they are short of people to cover the work and its bit them on the arse

now get on that bike and stop pissing in the wind!

good luck
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    :D Great News on the Bike :D

My questioning got you back down there sharpish LOL...

I still haven't pulled the trigger , though I think I'm set on it, I'm still not sure what way to go on size, 17 or 19...

Ref. the Redundancy, been there done that 20 years ago, wouldn't fancy it much Now :cry: Hope it works out for you,

Cant wait for the pics, Close -ups that Saracen haven't bothered with LOL.... I have to order mine tomorrow anyway, so hopefully not too far behind you :)

I've been thinking of upgrades/tarting/fettling already, and I haven't even bought it yet.
    Not sure if thats a good thing....(Frustrated, I never did it back in the day, so it's gonna get expensive NOW) or "for gods sakes I haven't even got it and I'm not happy with it", but I think it's the former ;)

anyway can't wait for the pics :)

Congrats..
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    castlelad wrote:
    plus as my mrs is very well employed too so things should be ok in the short term, not going look to far ahead tho as im not the type to scrounge from the government, there's enough of them sorts as it is,

If worse happens, it might be worth checking the status of your national insurance (NI) as you may not want a short fall for claiming your state pension. By claiming Job Seekers Allowance (probably conts based is best instead of income based with your wife working) you would get a credit for your NI. A call to NI office if things do go wrong at the time might be worth while to know where you stand on your contributions as you might have enough contributions or it may be possible to make voluntary contributions instead of claiming JSA.

Just trying to point out that it's not always best to dismiss not signing on as it can have a knock on effect.
  • Abra
    Gazlar wrote:
    Abra wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Abra wrote:
    castlelad wrote:

Thought he lived next door to you :)

its nice to be able to put a face to the noise finally... :mrgreen:

I'll tell Mrs A you said hi.
  • castlelad
    No please don't , she'll be embarressed,

And still no phonecall for my new toy, they've got till 3pm and then i'm sending the boys round, really want to play on it before i go work too !
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    castlelad wrote:
    No please don't , she'll be embarressed,

And still no phonecall for my new toy, they've got till 3pm and then i'm sending the boys round, really want to play on it before i go work too !

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo I was looking forward to seeing it in all it's Muddy Glory :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If it's any use to you, getting laid off was the best thing that ever happened to me careers-wise- nice chunk of cash in the bank, and time to look for a better job.

As far as signing on goes... It's a pain in the arse frankly but you've earned it, and it'll cover your NI. If you think of it in terms of pounds-per-hour for the time it takes to sign on and falsify your job searching record it works out not bad at all ;) Then once they start to try and make you go and work for tesco, look at alternatives to cover your NI.

(I found it quite fun at times...
    "Hi, I've been working in finance for 10 years, never been unemployed for a day, and I have an honours degree"
    "Oh OK. Well, we can offer you this nightshift callcentre telesales job for minimum wage"
    "That's not really ideally suited to my experience is it? "
    "But it says "No experience neccesary! Sounds perfect")

The best bit was after I got a job, they refused to sign me back off until I went in (during working hours) to have a meeting with them. So I told them to bugger off. They responded that if I didn't come in, they'd take action. Such as? I asked. Well, they said, we'll stop your benefits.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • castlelad
    Well i've told 'em that if it is me who's unlucky enough to go, the don't expect my discount when any of them go to our local mcdonalds and i serve them !.............i've had time to think and fell differant now........i've got alot on my side as to why i shouldn't be sent on my way........stuff like there is only 10 lads who've been the longer, i've forgotten more than some will know, and i'm on less money than some of them anyhow , etc etc , and hopefully it will be office staff 1st due to the fact that there is 450 of them and only 320 working lads in the total area, 1500 km of roads, 1600 structures and even now we don't have enough lads.......but who knows how they'll see it......
  • xmadxmoex
    xmadxmoex Posts: 135
    Nice news with the bike..

Crud news with the job.. was made redundant december 2010 from my job as 'it was no longer required' long story short 13 months later im back with the same company doing a similar job with the same people and they are paying me more to do so..

Win for me as this time theres hopfully less chance ill go should they do all that again!

Goo luck with the work.. looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new beast :mrgreen:
  • castlelad
    cheers , there is a couple of pics in YOUR BIKES. Under "please meet angie" thread