First century.

mcp73
mcp73 Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I've only been road cycling for a little under 9 months and although it's certainly not a monumental landmark in the great scheme of things, I'm pleased to have completed my first 100+ mile ride. I've done a fair bit of mileage in my area (The Peak District) in the last few months but today was the first time I'd managed anything over 80 miles. Despite the rain and wind, it was a splendid day. I simply wanted to share my pleasure with anyone who's interested. Also, I'd like to think it could encourage other beginners; when I picked up my first road bike (after a 15 year absence from cycling) I was amazed at the distances others covered and was pleased to have cycled the occasional 30. The ride was also 8,053 feet of ascent which is something I certainly would have struggled with when I first made my tentative efforts on the roads here.
I hope people don't regard this as a frivolous post, I'm simply very happy about what I've done and would like to tell any other beginners that anything's possible if you push yourself!
Cheers.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Congratulations!
    8000+ of climbing + 100 miles very impressive.
  • Nice one. It'll start to sink in more (at least I did for me) the next time you drive 100 miles, and realise what a bloody long way it is!
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • indeed, it always feels good and there's no reason not to be proud/happy about it.
    My first was a coast to coast (138 miles) in 9hr 51mins and i was chuffed to bits!

Congrats
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Well done mate, that's fantastic!

Like you I'm a returnee to cycling (over 20 years for me, been doing other sports) 9 months ago and have been putting in the miles, gradually increasing distance. I'm up to 80 now (I'm off to do an 80 this afternoon as it happens) but plan a 100 very soon. I'll report back.

80 ft per mile is a hilly 100, you must be bloody pleased with yourself!
  • i have my first 100 miler on the 13th of may, i'm a little anxious about it,
    seeing your post adds to my confidence, so thankyou for that..
    and of course, well done too you.........
    put the fun between your legs
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Well done mate, that is a great achievement on such a hilly route.

And to think I was made up doing my first 40 mile run which is basically flat as a pancake.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • mcp73
    Thanks to all. I am quite proud of finally reaching one of my goals. I wouldn't have dreamed of being able to do that distance and amount of climbing a year ago, but persistence and (most importantly) getting out there actually pays off. Good luck to all my fellow beginners!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Excellent ride and a very well done. Proof indeed that you don't need to enter a costly event to go out and achieve a goal like this. Keep up the good work.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    +1 to the well dones! i am aiming to pass 100 this summer some time, 55 my longest so far with 2800ft climbing. think saturday i will be aiming for over 60, which at my pace will take quite a while lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Well done there. I have always wanted to a 100 miler, but most I have done so far was just under 82 miles one last July.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Crikey. What a way to get your first 100. The Peaks!

You're gonna be sorely disappointed with how easy it is everywhere else in the UK!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    That's a fantastic achievement, congratulations! 40's my longest so far (I'm unfit & still a newbie), & I found your post great for confidence building.

Keep up the good work.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Excellent. Congrats.
    Not a frivolous post at all!
    After a few years lay off, I've been back on the bike about 7 yrs...still haven't done a century.
    Most for me is 85!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    To add to the above - great effort and well done. 100 miles is a long ride for any level of rider really - most of my club rides are only around 70 miles or so.

Question is now you've done the ton - whats next?? 8)
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Great work. I'm some way behind you... Aiming to get up to 100km by end-May!
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Well done mate, that is a great achievement on such a hilly route.

And to think I was made up doing my first 40 mile run which is basically flat as a pancake.

Yes the first 100miler is a landmark but on such terrain is very commendable.

If you set a goal, however modest when you achieve it, it's cause for celebration. Treat yourself to a bit of bike bling. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mcp73
    Thanks again to all for their kind replies. I think the next goal is to do the same ride, but faster!
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    mcp73 wrote:
    Also, I'd like to think it could encourage other beginners; when I picked up my first road bike (after a 15 year absence from cycling) I was amazed at the distances others covered and was pleased to have cycled the occasional 30.
    It certainly does encourage.

When you talk to normal humans and mention you did 25 miles they are surprised you can do that far. Then you register on here and see that 25 is nothing. It's a warm up.

I recently topped 40 for the first time and this weekend I'm planning on 50. Some friends are talking about doing 3 times round a 36m circuit next month. Initially I was saying I'll only join them for 2 but posts like yours are good motivation to go for the full amount.
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    Congratulations that's absolutely brilliant!
    I'm just 2 months into the sport. I'm doing 30s now, with my fingers crossed for a first 100 at the end of June (with a similar amount of climbing to yours).
    It's really great to see people getting on and achieving their targets as the year progresses.
    It can be a solitary pastime (at least for me it is), but this forum gives a sense of being involved in something with other people, and hearing of others' success is a great incentive to announcing your own when it finally comes.

Thanks for sharing and watch this space...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Well done, great effort. I started back about 2 years ago and did my first hundred after about 6 months. Done several since and just did 160 last Sunday with a couple of club mates with about 8000+ ft of climbing. Must admit the pace was a bit slow and I found it a little boring and the slow speed caused me a few aches and pains in new areas! It was supposedly a 'flat' route, from South Cheshire to Ludlow and back, but rolling Shropshire adds up when you go that far!

Well done on the Peaks as it is my local stomping ground too and there are some tough climbs there for sure. Kept it up.

PP
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I plan a 100 very soon. I'll report back.

My Fred Whitton training plan was a bit derailed for nearly two weeks by a nasty virus but got back on track and yesterday did my first 100 miler since I was 18 years old, 30 years ago!

The one I did 30 years ago was flat. Yesterday's had 8400ft of ascent. I did it in less than 7 hours which I'm very pleased about. I was as chuffed to have got the water and food part of it right as actually doing the ride, and I still had a little bit left in the legs at the end.

Didn't realise the mental challenge, doing such a ride solo. The pressure of getting it up on Strava urged me on!

Feeling very proud of myself, after 25 years off the bike and about 9 months training, not bad for an asthmatic 48 year old! :D
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    Certainly some encouragement here, me thinks. I'm only a month into getting back into cycling after 24 years away - stopped when I left school!!!! Have just done my first 50mile run yesterday in 3hours 15mins and came across Parbold Hill after 32miles which I couldn't manage. Got about 3/4 the way up and had to walk the rest with head held in shame!!! Not sure how high the Hill is but it won't be anywhere near 8000 feet.
    Guess I need to find some more hills and get practising!!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • Hmmmm, I've been cycling nearly 3 years now and I still havent cycled 100 miles in one go lol.
    Never really seen it as a goal to be honest, saying that I will do it later in the year when I do a 100 mile TT
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Certainly some encouragement here, me thinks. I'm only a month into getting back into cycling after 24 years away - stopped when I left school!!!! Have just done my first 50mile run yesterday in 3hours 15mins and came across Parbold Hill after 32miles which I couldn't manage. Got about 3/4 the way up and had to walk the rest with head held in shame!!! Not sure how high the Hill is but it won't be anywhere near 8000 feet.
    Guess I need to find some more hills and get practising!!

Jinkies thats 14% that hill - its not easy by any means- if you're out that way again have a look for stoney lane, its a bit longer than parbold but not as steep so it gives you a good work out, then you can go back and conquer it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mcp73
    My Fred Whitton training plan was a bit derailed for nearly two weeks by a nasty virus but got back on track and yesterday did my first 100 miler since I was 18 years old, 30 years ago! :D

Congratulations!
  • As stated earlier reading on here makes me feel like a complete noob. I did 30 on my mtb last weekend (furthest I've ever done) - everybody at work was suitably impressed, people on here would do that in a couple of hours.

Hopefully when my road bike is ready I will be able to go a bit further (and faster)

100 miles is god like to me, well done op
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    If I can hijack and save me starting a new thread.
    First century for me today :D
    Used to 65 mile club runs but have recently upped it to 80 miles in preparation for the Nove Colli sportive next month.
    Persuaded to enter a 200km/125 mile audax and got road it ok(ish)!
    Mate with a Garmin said it had 2,200m of climbing and for those that know it, the run included The Rest and Be Thankful and Tighnabruaich up here in Scotland :D

Big respect to the audax boys with their heavy bikes and bike bags etc!
  • Great efforts OP and others, all round. Last autumn after my first 100 miler, someone who had seen me putting in the miles all summer in preparation asked me 'are you relieved'. My answer was 'it's not relief that I feel - it's an achievement'.
    My second 100 in a day was a couple of weeks ago and the feeling's still good but I truly respect the distance - it's taught me some limits; knees are apt to play up at around the 90 mark.
    Whatever the terrain, whatever your time, wear it with pride.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    Well done!

I went out for my first "non-time constrained" ride on Saturday morning.....unfortunately, due to suffering with man-flu, just over 25 miles was all we could muster. Hoping to clear the lungs and get out again next time its dry (at this rate probably August)....really want to hit 30+ ready for London to Brighton, with a plan on my first century by the end of summer.
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    sancho1983 wrote:
    As stated earlier reading on here makes me feel like a complete noob. I did 30 on my mtb last weekend (furthest I've ever done) - everybody at work was suitably impressed, people on here would do that in a couple of hours.

Hopefully when my road bike is ready I will be able to go a bit further (and faster)

100 miles is god like to me, well done op

I know what thats like. I did a few runs on my wifes old MTB and did about 30miles as a long run. Couldn't seem to get much above 14mph as an average. Road bikes are so much better and I've already found myself easily doing 21mph on a flat road for quite some distance. I even managed 26mph on a stretch of the A59 on my longest run on Saturday of 50miles. Pumped up skinny tyres make a huge difference to knobbly MTB tyres at half the pressure!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk