Going Tubeless?

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in MTB general
How do... Could anyone give me a heads up as to what is involved for me to go tubeless? I have:

• DT Swiss 445D Rims
• Spesh Captain Control 2Bliss Ready Tyres

I have also just bought a tasty high volume floor pump so should be ok for seating (Lezyne Alloy Dirt)

Am I right in thinking all the expensive bits are already taken care of with what I have above? Whats next?

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    rim strips, sealant, and some manic pumping
  • So do I need specific rim strips (that have the valve attached?) or do I just get rim tape and a separate valve?

Tape separate looks like a more professional job is this the case?

Lastly how do I know what size tape / strip to buy? The spec of my rims is this:

• DT-Swiss 445, 26", alloy double wall disc, pinned with eyelets

I'm assuming the Stan's stuff is what I need?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All on the Stans website, but ask yourself, do I really want to do this?
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12846210
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And the answer should be yes, you do!

You can either go for Stan's yellow tape and separate valves - it's cheaper, but you may need a few layers to build the rim up, depends. Spesh tyres are quite inconsistent, some are tight, others less so.

Or you can do rimstrips, which are more expensive and heavier, but will make things simpler. They can cause problems as they get older, they ruck up and stick to the tyres, but do make inflation easier.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Or do the ghetto style rimstrip using a BMX inner tube, a couple of quid each from the bay of e.
  • Or do the ghetto style rimstrip using a BMX inner tube, a couple of quid each from the bay of e.
    Ahh right, I suppose you just cut away half of the tube do you?
  • simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    cooldad wrote:
    All on the Stans website, but ask yourself, do I really want to do this?

You ask, then you decide the only way is to try it and decide for yourself!
  • Exactly, I know I want to try it and that is all, if I like how it goes then great, if I don't then no big deal to switch back... Did you try it and it didn't work out for you for some reason cooldad?
  • Popped over to Mammoth on my lunch break and picked up some stans sealant, rim tape (got a question about this in a sec) and a couple of valves, my floor pump arrives tomorrow so should be good to go for the weekend :)

Right my question... the tape they gave me was "Specialized Roval Tubeless Rim Tape" - when I looked it up it says its specific to 2 wheel sets rather than universal stuff, will I still be ok with this?