Compression for recovery??

bulluke23
bulluke23 Posts: 48
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Have recently tried to up my mileage to improve fitness and get ready for some of the challenges I have set myself this year but have suffered with leg fatigue.

I have tried to ensure good diet, hydration etc but seem to suffer still.

Someone suggested compression tights post ride to help with muscle recovery, anyone done this or know if it is any good?
Summer: Condor Classico
Winter: Genesis Ather

Comments

• sunburnt
    sunburnt Posts: 3
    Stretch, stretch and then stretch. Compression tights feel nice but I reckon they are more placebo than anything else. After a good stretching session (half an hour or more) I really feel the difference.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You're going to get DOMS if you up your training volume/intensity significantly, there's been a few small studies on compression clothing but nothing conclusive. If you're doing a lot of training and sore legs are interfering with it (due to the recovery time) then I'd say you may as well try them, they're not that expensive. But as above stretching and foam rolling can help to, more involved than just sticking some tights on though ;)
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I use a pair of Skins compression tights in addition to stretching, good, diet, etc. and I feel that they do make a difference. OK, they are not going to eliminate soreness or tiredness altogether but I find they do make a noticeable difference.

You could also try ice / cold water baths which I find make a huge difference to the condition of my legs the day after a big ride or hard training session.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stretch. Drink milk.

Above all, cycle more often!

In now my 8th year of properly cycling, I just recover more quickly than I used to.

Takes a bit of time.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    These have been a real winner when I've been running, pretty much completely staving off calf stiffness; however I suspect the main advantage came from the muscles being supported/held during the impact of running and doubt cyclists would benefit from this advantage to the same degree.

That's not to say there won't be some benefit.